Nepheline synite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought PFS for my new 20g, is it ok to use? I've heard lots of different things about it... Like it raises hardness by a lot ( my hardness is already really high! ) and that will create a large population of diatoms etc. But others people say that it is safe. I don't know! I don't want to hurt my fish after I upgrade to try and make their lives better!

i use PFS in 2 out of 3 tanks,i have never had an issue with ph,hardness,or diatoms. my 55 has been set up for a couple months and i havent had a hint of diatoms

That sand will not raise hardness or alter pH. Many people are using it, as it seems to be the standard PFS around here, rather than regular silica.

I think you are getting information on aragonite sand rather than pool filter sand. PFS is inert... I've used it for a couple years now with no problems

The information I found was specifically trod nepheline synite, which is why I was worried. But if it's ok as long as it's rinsed well, then hooray! Thanks guys :)

Put the sand in yesterday, and my ph has gone up a point... To 8.4. This stuff isn't silica! I'm really worried now :(

Well, it jasnt gone up again, so i guess its good. Now i have to figure out how to clean it...

Back
Top Bottom