New 120 build...gonna be a long ride...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, I'm really excited for this, it will be a long ride as the title says. I have the items on paper I want to get, where I want things to be...just the setting it up and the money factor (not buying all at once...lol) that is going to slow this project down.

I have a question about the RO/DI system, would i be able to split off the line from my washing machine to feed the RO/DI unit? Has anyone ever done this?

Also, the waste water that comes from the RO unit, could i use that for my freshwater tank's water change?

Another question, i just read a post by Melous58 that he runs two pumps in his, a mag 12 and a mag 9.5. I know the more flow the better...is this a cheaper alternative than using powerheads?

If you checked out his picture he is also running uber powerheads thorugh out his tank. makes me doubt that I have enough flow LOL

HAHA DOH!!!....i really should think before i speak sometimes...lol....so is it just for added flow i'm guessing?

For specifics you'd have to ask him, but his tank is chock full of corals so i assume he is doing it for the corals. And his tank has been up for what, a decade? I;m sure he's on his game. lol

Oh i don't doubt that at all, I just checked out his tank and i had to have a co-worker close my mouth...lol. I'll shoot him a PM and find out.

Saturday can't come quick enough...lol. I can finally put up a picture on this build...lol. Figures we are going to get hit with a nasty storm though on Sunday.

Are you feeling the effects from the storm yet Carey?

Not yet so far....I;m hoping and praying I dont lose my power too long, I have only one battery powered air pump for now. Was gonna go to sears or home depot and see about a generator but not sure yet. i suspect the prices and availability wont; be too stunning. lol

I;ve got lots of water already made though so I can replace and move some water around if need be. We are on alert from 2pm today thru 2pm, tomorrow.

This would be my first florida hurricane and i've lived here like 6 years already. But inb the past some people were without power for weeks so I;m fo sure hoping for the best. It's gonna be a category 4 as it glances our shore line which is only about 40 miles away.....

Maybe I;ll go out and see if I can get some more battery powered pumps. I thinkt he fw can survive ok but worried about the sw tanks.

Thanks for asking though. :)

Crap that's right. I'm following a couple people's threads that live on the east coastal areas. I do hope you are all ok through this storm!

Ro/di to your washer water line. I was thinking the same. You CAN plumb it to that. I would think it's just the time and parts to do it. I think some sort of a ball valve would be needed between your spigot and your ro/di. Waste water can be run to the washer drain pipe. Carey posted a link to one on eBay that can be connected to a garden hose so if you get that one (I'm looking at that one too) you should be able to plumb the bits to make it a permanent fixture.

As far as waste water used for freshwater water changes. (sorry I missed that part) I don't know about the water quality being ok but brilliant idea if it is ok to use.

i wouldnt use it for drinkin but for watering the lawn and plants and maybe laundry too. Sounds brilliant if you can make it work. Can even save it for washing the car too. :)

Carey, how about a seperate bin for freshwater PWC...why waste the water if i dont need to???

I think the fw fish wouldnt enjoy the waste water, it has all the stuff you dont want in a tank. I think fw appreciates the minerals from regualr tap water. I;ve seen it mentioned before but I think there are reasons you can't do it.

Anyone know the reason why people?

Ok, another question...obviously...lol.

So it have 120 gal tank, so I need 120lbs of rock respectively, I would really like to have lots of openings for the fish to swim in and out of. Not really relavant to my questions but.

How much base rock and live rock should I get?

How long does it take for the live rock to seed the new rock? (I believe it's different for everyone)

Coralline Algae...what's the best way to introduce this? Is it usually already on live rock?

I have 200lbs of rock in my 125g. Ifindit just the right amount and there is actually swimming room in back of the structure and plenty of caverns and overhangs. Your live rock is your primary source of filtration in a sw tank so the more the merrier.

You can add 100lbs of base rock and 20lbs of live rock. the live rock will seed the base rock in a few weeks and in a couple months you won't be able to tell the difference between the two. :) My 125g has only benn up a few months and it's full of coralline and I can't tell the base from the live. The only clue is the base rock is prettier, at least to me. :)

I think coralline has to be in the tank at some point for it to multiply so get soem live rock with some nice purple. :)

Awesome, I will probably go with more and have a bunch of rubble in my refugium area.

Is your rock attached in any way, reef glue or any other bonding agent?

Also is there a better way to place the rock, such as live rock on the bottom base rock on top of it or all random?

I put the larger and ugly pieces on the bottom. You should put the base of your structure in first then add your sand to avoid any diggers or burrowers from causing an avalanche. I didn't use any epoxy or glue for my rockscape, i change it way too often for that. I just am very very careful when stacking, I even used theback wall in places for extra security. Once the tank starts rolling there will be no way to keep the back glass clean anyway lol

And nope, no particular order for the rock work, just put it in and mess with it until youre satisfied. Live rock can be upa gianst base or more live rock and the same for base rock, no special order. the bacteria in the system will go to all the rock in time so its not reqquired for the live rock to actually touch the base rock.

Back
Top Bottom