New 25g kent bio reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank grown quite fast, keep an eye on all of your levels (calcium, etc.) because it still needs time to mature.

Defo. Recommend any weekly doses of anything to keep the stability?

Loftyfiasco said:
Defo. Recommend any weekly doses of anything to keep the stability?

As long as you are doing weekly water changes, you shouldn't have to dose anything. Use a good salt mix like reef crystals, etc. and you should be fine. Don't waste your money on expensive stuff you won't need. Lps and sps are the only corals that could drain your calcium quickly, but even so, it wouldn't be anything serious.

Is that an sps coral located on the bottom right? Looks like a birdsnest, also resembles a Kenya tree on the softy side.

Yep birdsnest. Moved it nearer the top
Now as heard it needs more light.

You need to slow down, this tank is less than a month old and you are already adding expert level sps corals, which I would be willing to bet you do not even know the scientific name for, much less it's care requirements. You have a nano tank which, by definition, is unstable and sps require stability. You do not even know what kind of lighting you have, so it is for sure you do not know if it is good enough for sps. You are taking the word of your LFS, who wants to sell you things, blindly following their advice is not a good idea.

Take the time to research and by the time you have the required knowledge (from and unbiased source) you will be ready, or more importantly your tank may be ready.

First thing you need to do is look at your equipment and determine just what it is, not assume it is the same as a picture someone posted. It may well be the same, but it may not.

Cheers for the derogatory feedback jerk. I'll do fine without u thanks.

U know nothing of my attitude. And your facts are all wrong. I know my lighting. And I know what coral I have in my tank. Who cares if I don't know the scientific names for every coral. I do have a life. I have had tanks for 15 years so understand all about patience. My goal was put in corals as early as possible as they grow and spread. The Goniopora is my only gamble, and u knew full well what it is before I got it. Geez u would think I was throwing sharks and rays in this tank!!

Loftyfiasco said:
U know nothing of my attitude. And your facts are all wrong. I know my lighting. And I know what coral I have in my tank. Who cares if I don't know the scientific names for every coral. I do have a life. I have had tanks for 15 years so understand all about patience. My goal was put in corals as early as possible as they grow and spread. The Goniopora is my only gamble, and u knew full well what it is before I got it. Geez u would think I was throwing sharks and rays in this tank!!

To be honest, today is the first time I have read your posts, but from reading them I know that my facts are not wrong. Your 15 years of FW means less than nothing, SW is a completely different animal. Your FW experience is more of a hindrance than helpful, it makes you think you understand things you do not. Your goal was flawed, and unfortunately instead of helping you your LFS saw dollar signs. Your tank should be about 6 months old and stable before you add sps corals, your LFS should have told you to slow down. The other members of the forum that responded to this thread should have told you to slow down, instead of fueling your fire. Your enthusiasm is admirable, but if you don't pull back on the reigns your tank is going to crash big, and your enthusiasm will turn to bitterness and that is no good to anyone.

Good luck with your tank, I apologize if my comments hurt your feelings, I've always been pretty blunt, but that doesn't change the truth of my words. I also realize it is not what you want to hear, but hopefully you will re-read this later with a more open mind and some of it will do some good.

Although I agree with reefrunner69 on this tank going up fast, I disagree with the offensive original post. We are not here to question members common knowledge on coral unless they asked for it. Common man, please be more tactful in the way you talk to other AA members.

Lofty, normally flags are thrown up when we see sps going into a tank that has progressed in as short of time as yours has. However, I myself have done this in the past and still have them healthy as ever. As long as your keeping and eye on your variables (I know you are), you should be fine. One thing to consider is upgrades like a sump, phosban reactor, etc. cheap and easy. They not only add another level of filtration, but also add water volume to help sway potential water shifts.

Someone's going to tweak on this, but we know sps need a powerful light, as long as your putting 3w+ per gallon and the correct temperature (10k+) you'll be fine. Yes you all, I said "watts", lol.

I have been keeping freshwater tanks for years, and IMO, not a whole lot has changed. Have someone tell you that saltwater is harder to keep than a co2 injected planted tank, and we will have a real argument on our hands. Tank is looking good bud, keep it up!

Thanks. Buddy. I appreciate the feedback. I really do. I agree this tank is flying, especially after cycling so fast , but other than the goniopora, ( which I fully knew about but got it for £25 so took the risk) I really don't see the problem. Frags of coral are fine to go in at speed providing you are doing regular water changes, which I am. I also have specific coral foods. And only two fish. I intend to keep it like this now till Xmas. It was always my intention and I'm thrilled with where I am now. How could a tank crash now if u are keeping on top of everything and no new fish are introduced? Also lighting wise, I did my research and know they are good enough for SPS.

Sounds good man, yeah, forgive me if I am redundant with my information. It seems your pretty knowledgeable, just "analyzing my audience" if you will.

A tank can crash easily, normaly threw overfeeding. If I may pass this on, stop feeding your coral. The food is going to dirty the water column quick and that would be where you could run into issues. Coral food is small and normally contains Trates already in the bottle. Your corals will survive off the water column and grow just fine if your keeping up with calcium and a good light schedule.

Hey guys. Had a greasy film on top of the water the last few days. Any ideas? Water change was 2 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom