New aquarium troubles, any advice appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skuppy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I have had fish for about 20 some years only went 3 years and about 4 months without (but far from an expert). December was the end of that 4 month period. I restarted my tank and I'm encountering some fish death/health issues. I'll give you a timeline of what I've done and maybe someone can make something out of it.

12/3/15 5 Gallon Aqueon Bow Front tank. New gravel and plants rinsed with warm water. Submersible filter with diamond blend carbon & filter fiber, power filter with Aqueon Small filter cartridge. 10mL API Stress Coat+ 1/2 tsp Jungle Start Zyme.
12/17/15 1/2 tsp Jungle Start Zyme
12/28/15 5mL API Stress Coat+ Added 7 male guppies
1/4/16 One tuxedo guppy dead no symptoms or signs of disease
1/6/16 Second tuxedo guppy's tail fin seems folded over and red, base of tail had "pinecone" effect
1/7/16 The part of his fin that was folded is gone scales near base of fin no longer look like a "pinecone" but more like a sore. Did a 20% (one gallon) water change added 1 tbsp salt 10 mL API Stess Coat+ & 1/2 tsp Jungle Stress Zyme.

Some more information for reference; Power filter is on 24/7 submersible filter, bubble wall and light are on for 15 hours a day (on timer). Temperature is always within the green "safe zone" on in tank thermometer. I've never had a heater and never used a test kit, just kept up with monthly filter cartridges changes and 20% water changes every other week. I feed them once in the morning.

Any insight on what could be happening?

First thing I would suggest is a test kit , API liquid kit is fine , rather inexpensive and lasts for lots of tests.

Without knowing what your levels are it is a guessing game.

Local fish store near you that could test your water is also an option but I personally wouldn't rely on them. You are the first line of defense.

And no heater? I know you said it is in the green but what is the actual # ?

Hi There,

Nope I've never had a heater, Dad told me his heater horror story and since he was my teacher just never used them. Current reading is 74° in the morning it's around 72°.

I'm looking into the test kits, also never used one in my life but they seem pretty helpful. Is there a difference between the dip type and the liquid, just preference or reliability?

Also found ailing guppy wrapped around filter intake, rip little swimmer :(

Hi There,

Nope I've never had a heater, Dad told me his heater horror story and since he was my teacher just never used them. Current reading is 74° in the morning it's around 72°.

I'm looking into the test kits, also never used one in my life but they seem pretty helpful. Is there a difference between the dip type and the liquid, just preference or reliability?

Also found ailing guppy wrapped around filter intake, rip little swimmer :(

The difference between liquid and dip tests is accuracy and price per test. I could taste your water and give you as accurate a reading as a dip test ;) I've used them and they're just horribly inaccurate. Ammonia readings when there's no ammonia, Nitrate 5x what the actual value is, etc. Also, it's more initial cost for liquid tests (about $25 for a set) but there's around 200 tests per kit for each thing, and you don't have to do a test for everything at one like with strips, so in the end you'll save a ton of money and have a lot more accuracy.

Thanks to the info! I'll opt for a liquid testing kit. Hopefully somethings just out of whack and I'll be able to get what's necessary to set it right again!

I have found liquid test kits to be accurate at low levels and test strips to be accurate for high levels. As an example, when I was doing a fishless cycle, I eventually had nitrate and nitrite levels that were way on the high end of the scale for the liquid tests... but with the strips, I could see just how high the levels were so that I had an idea how much of a water change I had to do to get things down to the levels I wanted.

Don't be put off getting a heater/stat. The old bi-metallic strip heaters could stick in the on position and 'boil' your tank. The new digital heaters have a totally different heat sensing system which if it fails will default and switch off. The illuminated digital display changes colour to make you aware of any problems, such as low flow around the heater or tank overheating due to external temperatures. I think most tropical tanks would be warmer than 72-74.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

if you are worried about the heater buy a controller off amazon. inexpensive and its a 2nd line of defense in case the heater doesn't stop where its supposed to.. and in the rare occasion the controller fails, your heater will stop where it needs to. just give it a thought :)

I am giving some thought to a heater! Seems they make small (50 watt) heaters suitable for smaller aquariums. Also looking further into things all the types of fish I've ever kept (Guppies, various tetras, danios, goldfish and mollies/platies.) can withstand the cooler temperatures of an unheated tank. And they've bred in my unheated tank, boy did they breed! I had Mickey mouse mollies/platies for years after only buying a few!

Back
Top Bottom