New bichir...Polypterus endlicheri congicus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got this little guy in today. This is Polypterus endlicheri congicus, one of the 'protruding lower jaw' bichirs and will eventually reach nearly 3 feet in length (it is one of the largest of the bichirs). Right now he's about 6 inches long.

pecongicus4.jpg

pecongicus8.jpg

-Joe

very nice!

Hey, joe, I thought of you when I was reading the bichir article in the April '05 Tropical Fish Hobbysit - did you happen to see it?

Lori....

Not yet. My wife, bless her pointy head, bought me a subscription to TFH last father's day. I STILL haven't seen an issue in the mail!!! I'll drop by my local PetCo tomorrow to pick up some cat food and I'll see if they have a copy there. Thanks for the heads up!

-Joe

page 98, lol.

I ordered my subsription online and a couple weeks later got my first issue. You might want to contact them.

Yeah....yeah....I know that it has the largest recorded size (Schafer in the Aqualog Polypterus book actually lists one of over 1,500mm - 1.5 meters...which puts it at about 5 feet....but I definitely question THAT measurement!). I'd be surprised if P. endlicheri endlicheri or P. bichir didn't approach the same size.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom