New Fish Day For 55g!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You've helped me alot! I like the neons, but my favorites are the rummynose. What I really want is 6 or 7 more of them. I just don't know if I can get them. Once I get my neon school straightened out I might have to give in and order some Rummies online. Shipping is so expensive though.
Rummies are pretty cool. If you can keep them happy, then that's quite the accomplishment. I myself like the Neons better, but you know, everyone has different tastes...

Well, I don't know exactly when the OP last bought fish but if it's been at least over a week then I don't see a problem. Especially since this is a 55 gal tank. A lot more generous than a smaller tank.

I've never had rummies either but I've heard lots of stories of them being finicky.

okapizebra said:
Well, I don't know exactly when the OP last bought fish but if it's been at least over a week then I don't see a problem. Especially since this is a 55 gal tank. A lot more generous than a smaller tank.

I've never had rummies either but I've heard lots of stories of them being finicky.

I should change my Avi... I'm female. Lol!

I last added fish around the 16th or so. I added a snail on the 23rd.

I got feedback about mixing RO water and my tap water so I am going to hold off on getting more neons until I get a mix that brings my pH and nitrates to a more manageable level. Then of I add 5 neons and they all survive I'll have a school of 9, and I'm good with that.

I should change my Avi... I'm female. Lol!

I last added fish around the 16th or so. I added a snail on the 23rd.

I got feedback about mixing RO water and my tap water so I am going to hold off on getting more neons until I get a mix that brings my pH and nitrates to a more manageable level. Then of I add 5 neons and they all survive I'll have a school of 9, and I'm good with that.
Hope it works out (As always!). Tell me how it goes, and if you have any other problems!

For sure. And I'll let y'all know when I get new fish (or snails!). This process has to go slow though, so I don't send my current fish into shock and kill them all. I'm starting off tomorrow by mixing 1/2 gallon RO with 1/2 gal of my tap in a 1 gal container. Then I'll test it after 24 hours and see what I get. I think I'll just post it all on my other thread.

I have a MTS in my 5 gal that comes out of the sand/gravel alot. Anyway, since he was out and all I have in the 5 is 2 fry, I took him out and put him in the 55. He went under the sand right away! I'll probably rarely see him again, but that's ok. I won't have to worry about him getting enough to eat in the 55. So there ya go. Added a new snail to the 55 tonight. Now if only I could find the 8 little baby mts in the 5 gal...

I don't know why, but one of my female variatus passed away today. I just tested ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. 0-0-40 like always. Temp is 80. Water looks clear. No signs of disease on her that I can tell. Out of all the variatus she was the smallest. Was just looking at all the other fish and they all seem to be doing fine. They all swim to the glass to tell me hello. She didn't seem too interested in me earlier today, but I didn't think she was going to die!

I don't know why, but one of my female variatus passed away today. I just tested ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. 0-0-40 like always. Temp is 80. Water looks clear. No signs of disease on her that I can tell. Out of all the variatus she was the smallest. Was just looking at all the other fish and they all seem to be doing fine. They all swim to the glass to tell me hello. She didn't seem too interested in me earlier today, but I didn't think she was going to die!
Hmmm. A mystery. How many females were in the tank previously? Did you witness her getting bullied?

Even if there is a 1 male/2 females ratio, a female can still get quite stressed and die. Bullying is a constant problem and is quite unfortunate. My brother had 1 male and three females of the same guppy species, but one of the females was constantly targeted for bullying and she died within 24 hours of the first attack.

phoenixkiller said:
Hmmm. A mystery. How many females were in the tank previously? Did you witness her getting bullied?

Even if there is a 1 male/2 females ratio, a female can still get quite stressed and die. Bullying is a constant problem and is quite unfortunate. My brother had 1 male and three females of the same guppy species, but one of the females was constantly targeted for bullying and she died within 24 hours of the first attack.

I had 3 females. I didn't see her getting bullied. It I wasn't home alot that day. The others seem to be doing well.

If I added a new female platy of a different species, would the male breed with it and would it get picked on by the 2 females I have already have?

Plus my pH is at like 8.3 I guess. I'm currently doing an RO tap water mix experiment to remedy the situation. Think I've got it figured out. See other thread if you're interested.

Please welcome Mickey (blue Mickey mouse) and Minnie (red Mickey mouse)! I got them tonight. :) I thought they'd be a nice addition.

Bearchumjs said:
Please welcome Mickey (blue Mickey mouse) and Minnie (red Mickey mouse)! I got them tonight. :) I thought they'd be a nice addition.

Wow Mickey is good looking!!! I have never seen a platy that color

So far so good! Mickey has settled right in and heads right to the top when I feed them. Minnie is a little more shy. She explores the tank but is a little stand offish at feeding time. She'll soon learn that all of my fish are pigs, so if she wants to eat she'll need to get out there with the rest of them!

Love those colors! I was gonna get some of the Blue Mickey Mouses, but I found the Bumblebees and they stole my heart.

How they doin'? Adjusting well? Planning to breed them?

phoenixkiller said:
Love those colors! I was gonna get some of the Blue Mickey Mouses, but I found the Bumblebees and they stole my heart.

How they doin'? Adjusting well? Planning to breed them?

They are doing well! If they have babies that's cool. I just like them. :)

5 neon tetras and 3 gold neon tetras are acclimating! Also another zebra nerite snail. I've got my nitrates down to 20 and my ph to about 7.6. Thought I'd try and up my school of neons. :)

My stock is now:

8 neon tetras
3 gold neon tetras
3 neon black hi fin variatus (1 male, 2 female)
2 fry of neon black hi fin variatus
2 Mickey mouse platies (1 male, 2 female)
4 cobra endler guppy males
2 Rummies nosed tetras
4 ghost shrimp
3 zebra nerite snails
1 malaysian trumpet snail (I may have more in my 5 gal to move over but I'm really going to have to search for them.)

Ammo 0 trite 0 trate 20 pH 7.6-7.8

One of the gold neons jumped out of the acclimating bowl! I had to quickly pick it up and put it back in. Crazy little guy!! I didn't know neons were jumpers. Although I guess any fish would jump if it got frightened enough.

I have the lights out right now, but the neons are schooling nicely. I figure that's about all the fish I will get, unless the LFS gets in Rummies. Then I think I'd get 3 of them but I really don't think they are going to get any more in. Ive been waiting 3 weeks... So I guess that's my final stocking list. What do you guys think?

My stock is now:

8 neon tetras
3 gold neon tetras
3 neon black hi fin variatus (1 male, 2 female)
2 fry of neon black hi fin variatus
2 Mickey mouse platies (1 male, 2 female)
4 cobra endler guppy males
2 Rummies nosed tetras
4 ghost shrimp
3 zebra nerite snails
1 malaysian trumpet snail (I may have more in my 5 gal to move over but I'm really going to have to search for them.)

Ammo 0 trite 0 trate 20 pH 7.6-7.8

One of the gold neons jumped out of the acclimating bowl! I had to quickly pick it up and put it back in. Crazy little guy!! I didn't know neons were jumpers. Although I guess any fish would jump if it got frightened enough.

I have the lights out right now, but the neons are schooling nicely. I figure that's about all the fish I will get, unless the LFS gets in Rummies. Then I think I'd get 3 of them but I really don't think they are going to get any more in. Ive been waiting 3 weeks... So I guess that's my final stocking list. What do you guys think?
Pretty sure you can get some more Rummies. You may even have room to spare. But if I were you, I'd get a second opinion on it.

Back
Top Bottom