New Member from CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TY. I'm slowly working on setting up a new 10g rimless. I have an Eheim Ecco 2232 on the way. I have a ton of plants from my other tanks. It will also have a black sand bottom.

I have 5 Celestial Pearl Danios on order as well. I'll add Shrimp and probably other Nano fish gradually.

Probably getting an Archaea fixture, LED perhaps.

So I wanted to tell my POV and wasn't sure where to post it. So here goes ;
My way of cycling a tank takes about 8 weeks total, but the tank has at least a few fish in it.

YMMV !!!

I'm one that hates an empty tank. So if I don't have access to other tanks I do start a tank with 1 or 2 fish. PWC weekly or as needed. My fish live. I never get huge spikes of Ammonia. I know that is Heresy to many of the fish gods on here. It's just what works for me and for my happy customers. I use Prime and add a bit extra the first month.

I do not advocate major chemicals. I do support testing your water !!

Yes, I worked at a major chain store. But I fought the good fight and tried to balance between people who would NOT stare at an empty tank and wanting to buy the entire stocking list that day !!

So I had them start slow. 2-3 fish max. Only adding more fish after water tested ok. Yes, tanks showed low 0.5 Ammonia, but I kept the fish alive and they were able to add fish gradually.

I had customers show up in tears after killing their 2nd or 3rd tankful of fish :( my method, while NOT the ideal, worked for them. I turned them from wanting to sell the tank, into happy fish keepers. One customer showed up with pics of his 30 baby Cherry Barbs. The exact same Barbs I sold him to start his tank with. Another had Angel fry that did grow up.

My "starter" fish in my last tanks were 3 Harlequin Rasboras. My trio of Cherry Barbs all lived. My Rasboras and Barb starter fish are still going after years. They are about 5 years old now. (I know these fish do better in large shoals)

My current 10g, I used seeded filter from existing tank. Aged water from other tank. And live plants. My tank cycled in a week or so.

I added Otos after the first week. I added my RCS once the Ammonia was back at zero. That took about another week. Anytime you add livestock, esp. to a small tank you can get mini cycles. Weekly PWC usually takes care of that.

Did not lose a single Shrimp. Lots of babies now. Tank is about 5 months old ?

image-3792455389.jpg

image-3004869486.jpg

My starter Rasboras

image-942875725.jpg

I love your tanks! They look gorgeous! Best of luck with them! Sorta jealous of your crystal red shrimp;) jk

I just started a new rimless 10g

Black Sand over Osmocote
Archaea 45cm LED
Eheim Ecco 2232 w custom Lily Pipes
Inline Hydor 200w heater (arriving soon)

Flora:
Crypt Nurii Pahang mutated
C. Wendti
C. pontederiifolia
C. Balansae
C. Parva ??
Dwarf chain sword
Ludwigia
Cabomba "red"

Fauna for now:
Male Betta
female Guppy or Endlers she came w some shrimp

Tank has been set up for a couple if weeks. Fish are happy.
I have some Celestial Pearl Danios arriving soon. Betta will be moved.

Later plan to add
Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)
Threadfin Rainbows
Corydoras Habrosus

View attachment 50344

My first Scarlet Badis is chillin in my Shrimp tank while my rimless finishes cycling.

Found out Threadfin Rainbows are jumpers so my trio will stay in my shrimp tank (tiny mouth so should be shrimp safe)

My CPDs arrive Tuesday.

Got some more plants free at my club meeting. A couple more Crypts, some stems and mosses. Some Subwassertang, etc....

View attachment 51397

View attachment 51398

My original 10g now has
7 CPDs
A pair of Scarlet Badis
3 Threadfin Rainbows
2 Otos
5 Corydoras habrosus
Plus Shrimp and snails and a ton of plants.

Can't post a pic as I haven't figured out how to delete old pics and I'm over my limit. Tank doing well.

Cycling a 5.5g with Aqua Soil and plants for my Crystal Red Shrimp. Will move them once the Ammonia is at zero.

May try breeding my C habrosus. I love Cory Cats <3

I've uploaded some pics of a couple of my tanks to my profile. Just phone pics. My 10g Jungle tank is always evolving. My 5.5g is cycling. My first try using Aqua Soil. The 5.5 will be for my CRS (shrimp) only.

Back
Top Bottom