new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super8407

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a two inch tiger oscar for my 75 gallon tank. I want to make sure that I am doing things correctly. It took me one month to cycle. He is living by himself and is very active. I feed him cichlid flakes and plan on adding cichlid pellets and some other things when he gets bigger. My current water is perfectly clean and the parameters are as follows. Temp 79 degrees. Ph 7.4. Ammonia 0. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 10. I was told that as long at nitrates were kept below 40 it would be fine. With these current parameters should the fish be good to go? Is the hardness of any importance? I added stress zyme and stress coat to the water as well as cichlid trace elements. Should I add some salt for this fish? As well, would this oscar get along with a pleco?

Every thing sounds prefect, especially the tank size. Feed him well change water often and he will grow big and colorful. Avoid live fish as food, he is not a fish eater by nature and it will make him more aggressive and less healthy.

I wouldn't add salt. Up front, I'm not a big fan of using it except as a treatment, brackish tanks, or perhaps mixes for reconstituting for African tanks. Oscars come from somewhat soft water, but they're incredibly hardy so I wouldn't worry much unless your hardness is way off the charts.

They tend to deal with common plecos just fine, and I think a 75g is an ok home for a common (although others would say 100 or 125 minimum). I don't think I'd leave a dwarf pleco with an oscar long term, I think once the oscar reaches full size there might be a bit of a danger, but it would all depend upon the personality of your oscar...and they do have personality.

Does he do the food dance every time you walk by the tank yet?

yeah he gets excited whenever he sees me and goes to top and asks for food

it sounds to me liek your ready to go!! I will say this though, if you do decide to fee dlive food, clean the tank thoroughly, live foods, plus a tank thats not cleaned regulary is the main reason oscars end up getting the cloudy eye syndrom, the water becomes filthy and pretty much blinds them, another cuase is a bacterial infection, either one is a pain to cure, so just stay on top the maintence :) HTH

Back
Top Bottom