New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most people wont notice the difference between a true and a false, but getting a false perc(ocellaris) will allow you to get black ice or a b&w. Getting an amphiporon (probably spelled incorrectly) you can get your snowflake though. It would go best for you of the were botj juveniles when you put them in the tank.

Kio707 said:
Ok, I have narrowed my list of fish I want in my tank... Any advice would be great. These guys will start going in on the 1st, some crabs and shrimp first, then clowns, and so forth...Hawiian Flame Angelfish
Gold Band maroon clownfish
True Percula Clownfish
Black saddleback clownfish
Freckled hawkfish
Blue hippo tang
Melanurus Fairy Wrasse

Any and all suggestions welcome. Tnx

I dunno why no one commented...but you can't have that tang in a 90gal. It needs a 180gal, I think?

Blue Hippo Tangs
Paracanthurus hepatus

Recommended Tank size: Requires a 20 gallon or larger aquarium with a number of hiding places and plenty of room to swim.To keep multiple specimens, introduce the entire lot at once into the marine system.

What I got from website. If it's wrong, please let me know. I know they r trying to sell a fish... (buyer beware)

Kio707 said:
Blue Hippo Tangs
Paracanthurus hepatus

Recommended Tank size: Requires a 20 gallon or larger aquarium with a number of hiding places and plenty of room to swim.To keep multiple specimens, introduce the entire lot at once into the marine system.

What I got from website. If it's wrong, please let me know. I know they r trying to sell a fish... (buyer beware)

Check Liveaquaria - they're generally the "standard". It recommends a 180gal for them since they get like a foot long and need tons of swimming space.

Thank you for that website.... Wow, learned a lot! Any advice for hermit crabs and snails, other then make sure the salinity and acclimate them correctly? Do I need to throw in extra shells for the crabs?

I have changed the fish... Lol... After reading the articles in the website, I'm just going to stick to the recommended starter fish. Add some beginner coral and add a cleaning package.

I would pick and choose what you want for cuc, those packages are expensive and you get way more than you need, especially for a new tank.

I generally order the package that is half what is recommended. ie: 100g tank get a crew for a 55g. :)

Have you checked out ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae ? They have VERY cheap cuc, but you do get alot so be forewarned.

Aquacon.com is the website. And I'll check out the other website for the cuc... Tnx

Aquacon is always messed up. lol I've seen that for the tang as well. All their sizes are way on the small side, I would look elsewhere for that kind of information. They do have some awesome fish though. :)

Yeah, the other website everyone suggested is really great. Helped out a lot...

So some red algae has shown up in my tank. Is this good or bad? Time to panic or just a wipe down and water change? I'll post pics after work tomorrow.

After further research I have learned I have diatoms and not red algae... Tnk god... Time for a clean up crew.

Well, added a emerald crab, 10 hermit crabs, and two snails. Tank is coming along. :)

Also added another power head to hit all the dead spots in the tank. After it's all said and done LR will conceal it. Also added some other soft coral. After a cleaning and added my inverts, the diatom problem is clearing up. My tank is well on it's way. Next addition will be the clown fish... :))

Back
Top Bottom