New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha Ha! It's all good Bro! ✌?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have been watching and this stuff is starting up.
I did some research and believe it to be stag horn algae.
I would appreciate a confirmation on that and possibly a means of combat.
I am dosing PPS Pro alternating macro and micro each day at 2 ml.
I did add a pinch of iron the other day due to plant appearance showing a deficiency that looks better now.
DIY co2 citric acid at 1-1 1/2 bps on 1 hour prior to light and off 1 hour prior to light.
Lighting is a 24" satellite pro + run on full spectrum 6-8 hours per day depending on my schedule.
What changes do I need to make?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449163920.913660.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449163937.743282.jpg

I have already added micros this morning but did some test and here are my parameters:
PH-7.4 /. Amm-under .25 / Nitrite 0
Nitrate-20-30. / GH-11 /KH-9
Phos-Barely over 2.0

On a good note though I am seeing new growth and side chutes that will allow me to trim, plant, and discard the older stems that are not so eye appealing and went through the transition of the original planting.
These stems should be used to the tank and look much better in it.

Have you determined what kind of algae that is? I have been reading about algae issues myself lately with my new tank.

This site helped me a lot to identify and point me in the right direction for getting rid of the issue. LINK

Thanks for the reply Ziggy. Love your tank too.
I believe it to be stag horn but I am not 100% sure.

Algae sucks. I'm happy to see bba because I know how to kill it.. got this bizarre green thread stuff in my last nano, could not shake it, I scraped the entire setup.. at this point if I see things going south I hit pause, lights out for a few days, daily wcs, light feedings. Once the algae takes hold it almost always has a place in that tank.. be it invasive or hardly noticeable.. it's there. I'm ok with a little green fuzz on the rocks. Natural look.. fine.. just stay off the plants!! Mine!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed. Stay off my plants. I'm trying really hard to get some plants growing strong and looking good and this crap crashes the party.
Nothing comes easy and if it does it usually leaves fast.

I don't mind algae much anyway, but these otocinclus I got recently eat bba (and everything else!) It's AMAZING. Apparently that's not typical for them.... But try it?

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sini - I don't think that is typical for otos. Good for you!

That algae looks like something that took over the lower areas of some Rotala wallichii I was trying to grow once. I tried H2O2 but that did not help.

I have 12 Cardinal tetra and 3 oto's in the tank now.

Otos simply do not eat bba.. no offense but it's un documented. Amanos "will"..

I did dose with h2o2 the other day and it laughed at me.....

Otos simply do not eat bba.. no offense but it's un documented. Amanos "will"..

I mean I've literally watched them do it. I suppose I can try and get a video. I'm not saying they should or that all will, it's just what I've witnessed.

Don't forget they're live animals and sometimes they do weird unexpected stuff. I wasn't trying to suggest otos for bba, more just suggesting them for general algae control. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 in this 20L and they ain't touching whatever this is.
Which I believe to be stag horn from the pics I've seen.
Now to figure out how to clean it up and prevent it.

Bandit I just got time, being as I'm working, to look at the link you attached and it is very informative.
Thanks for sharing and I will probably keep this in a file.

Yesterday I pulled most of the plants affected by the stag horn and dipped in a 1:20 mix of bleach and water.
I also trimmed off the tops of the pogostemon octopus being as they were floating on the top of the water surface. I thought maybe they would side chute for me to get new trimmings but I guess not.
I continue to struggle with the Rotala macandra. The lower leaves get dark, upper tops are dark red, stem seems weak, and the growth is stunted.
I should have sufficient light so I'm leaning to the water chemistry.
I'm thinking the higher phosphates could be the culprit so I did a PWC yesterday. I will pick up some RO/DI today and possibly change some more to try and dial in a little closer.
I love those plants but if I can't figure out how to dial it in ......never mind. I'm gonna dial em in! Gotta think positive. ?

Positive thinking.. YES!
The link seemed close to other but was shared with me years ago and seems pretty useful.
Can't claim to be great plant grower myself but I am pretty good at killing different algaes!!

H2o2 and Glut are great tools!
That and the ability to crank up the co2 usually help most issue.

Back
Top Bottom