New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cleaned out the lines and mixed the new citric acid batch and it is up and running. Way more production out of it than what I had before. I had to cut it almost off it worked so good.
Thanks for the info Fresh20.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cleaned out the lines and mixed the new citric acid batch and it is up and running. Way more production out of it than what I had before. I had to cut it almost off it worked so good.
Thanks for the info Fresh20.

No problem. I've always wanted to setup a citric acid system as a secondary CO2 source for another tank so I'm using you as a guinea pig. ?
As for having to open and close it daily, I understand that a solenoid valve can be added to this. Paired with a timer, it is a lower cost alternative to pressurized systems.

I will be going pressurized in the future but this is a quick and cheap alternative during my learning experiences with CO2.
I still am trying to learn to balance the ferts according to the plants needs.
I had a huge melt off from the plants input in this tank that I assumed was due to me not having CO2 and them coming from a tank with CO2.
I had an output of 4-5 bubbles per second when I first opened it this morning. I was able to turn back to around 3 bps. Once I attained proper color on the drop checker I cut back to around 1 1/2 bps and I am monitoring it.

Here's a peek at what is going on now with this tank.
Today is Day 1 with this DIY Citric Acid CO2 setup and I will monitor each weeks progress.
You can see in the video how bad the melting was for a bit. Cleaned most all of it up and now starting to see some new growth coming in.
Lots of work ahead but looking forward to it and seeing that beautiful planted tank I've always wanted.
http://youtu.be/2pTLwk8K2ko
Hope the link works.

Berbles!!!! Looks to be working well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Berbles are still going strong. Takes a little bit to get going every morning and dialed in but I do like the fact that I can cut it off every night.
Probably not more pics until I have a noticeable difference.
Once I know everything is in great shape and plants are going strong I once again will RAM-IT.
The Cardinal Tetras are still holding down this tank with the MTS.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?
I have cleaned this off with a toothbrush and I pulled the wood and scrubbed it. Treated it with hydrogen peroxide.
I have no idea. It keeps coming back in the same spot. The "berbles" are from the co2.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448992414.811207.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?
I have cleaned this off with a toothbrush and I pulled the wood and scrubbed it. Treated it with hydrogen peroxide.
I have no idea. It keeps coming back in the same spot. The "berbles" are from the co2.
View attachment 281451

Looks like a 'fungus' but I believe it is a 'bioslime'?:nono:
Is the wood new(ish)??

Many who are super clean think almost everything is a 'bad'fungus?:hide:

I'm not sure if 'bioslime' is a 'good' fungus?:popcorn:
I know some fry ,shrimp and nano fish make short time of stuff like that!(otos(y))

Many encounter this "fuzz" with new wood and it eventually takes care of itself.
The only quick cure I have heard of that worked is baking the branch .:confused:

I think it will go away on its own or with help as mentioned above. I got impatient when I saw it, threw the wood in some boiling water for several minutes and it never reappeared.

Ramshorn snails are a quick fix.

Thanks guys. I haven't had the wood that long but thought I boiled it out well.
I do have 3 oto's in the tank and Lord knows how many MTS now.....lol
I'm gonna just let it go for now and see if it cleans itself.
I'll monitor it closely.
I'll keep everyone posted.

1st bottle ran out on my citric acid. Seems way too fast to me.
I must be leaking from a connection somewhere.
I just mixed up a new batch to start up in the morning ( wait....it is morning ) or when I wake up.
I will double check that all connections are tight and I'm not losing pressure before priming it.
I just dumped out the #2 bottle in the yard when I cleaned out the old stuff. Is there a use for it or is it just garbage?

Spray the connections with soapy water (carefully). It will bubble if it's leaking

The only place it looks like it would leak is between the bottle(s) and screw on connector(s). The tubing looks like they have compression fittings.
I think the batches should last about 20 days at 1 bps and running it about 8 hours per day.

That's what didn't make sense to me either. The fittings are compression.
I know on the initial setup I had one heck of a time getting it dialed down but I wouldn't have used that much up I'm sure.
I remember the video saying 20 days too. I haven't made it a week yet.
I will blame myself and see what happens this time.
I am monitoring again.

Brookster check out my 90 gallon planted thread this morning. ?

Wc's on 30 and 40, cleaned can on 30. It was messsayyyy.. dem rams wrote "thank you" in the sand!!

LOL. Did the can on my 90 today. I skipped a week and paid the price.
Took out the media for 10 gal. while doing it.

LOL. Did the can on my 90 today. I skipped a week and paid the price.
Took out the media for 10 gal. while doing it.

Oh boy.. posted on the wrong thread, sorry dale!

Back
Top Bottom