New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw a spot on one of my oto's yesterday and finally got a pic of it. Not sure if this is a sore coming up or a wound from darting around.
I will pick up some antibiotics today and see if it helps.
Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Saw a spot on one of my oto's yesterday and finally got a pic of it. Not sure if this is a sore coming up or a wound from darting around.
I will pick up some antibiotics today and see if it helps.
Anyone got any ideas?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449325774.190583.jpg

Hopefully an injury?
Get kannaplex for antibiotic as this is 1/2 columnaris treatment(furan2 is other 1/2) and that(columnaris) will be my next guess if not injury.

Stopped at the store today while furniture shopping and picked up some antibiotics and methylene blue.
Couldn't stand the urge and picked up 6 "NASCAR" fish.
(Checkered flag tail)
That's what we call em anyway. Maybe being from TN has something to do with it...(Caleb might could back me on this one)
Some of y'all probably call em Rummynose Tetra's. Also picked up a couple algae eating shrimp.
Don't know if I can keep em or not but I'm gonna give it a shot. If they make it then maybe I'll try others later.

Went to put the methylene blue in with the eggs so I could stop putting the h2o2 in the tank and noticed the eggs look as if they are a little fuzzy.
I hope this is not the fungus the h2o2 was supposed to be fighting off.
I was putting 2ml/gal till I picked up the methylene blue today.
Or are they supposed to look like that prior to hatching?
I have no idea but I hope their alright.
I put the blue in the tank and we'll see what happens.

I dig the rummy nose!
One of my favorites and look super cool next to Denison barbs(mini versions almost)..
They are known to be the 'tightest' schoolers!!

The eggs should be amber now.
If they look a little fuzzy and all look the same odds are they went bad.
This happens even with H202 or MB (at least for me??).
If some look different then some may be good?
If some look good find a way to tip rock against side of tank so eggs face bottom of tank.
This way if/when they change from egg to wiggler they will fall from rock and will be safely away from any fungused eggs.
Andy actually pulls bad eggs with tweezers I believe...
Fingers crossed,still!
I think you will have other chances also...
:popcorn:

I realize catching the oto is impossible ...but if he jumped into a container the MB would be a good bath/dip for him.
It just isn't that easy to do though....

I almost picked up a pair of the kribensis, they were so pretty, but I fought it off being as I am still holding a spot for the Rams in this tank.
I was really surprised at how the Rummynose and the Cardinals actually school together.
I thought I would have a smaller school moving about but instead I lace a larger school of mixed.

I was too late it appears. I found my oto passed this morning. ?
On the bright side my Rummynose and shrimp are doing ok so far.
I'll be watching very closely for a while.
I am going to remove the DW in this tank due to what ever it is growing on it.
I will use another piece until I can't be sure I kill it off.
Maybe a bleach/h2o2 boiling bath....lol
I am not too disappointed in changing the DW anyway. I wanted a much smaller piece but the "better half" liked this one.
I win in the long run. HaHa

I was too late it appears. I found my oto passed this morning. ?
On the bright side my Rummynose and shrimp are doing ok so far.
I'll be watching very closely for a while.
I am going to remove the DW in this tank due to what ever it is growing on it.
I will use another piece until I can't be sure I kill it off.
Maybe a bleach/h2o2 boiling bath....lol
I am not too disappointed in changing the DW anyway. I wanted a much smaller piece but the "better half" liked this one.
I win in the long run. HaHa

Sorry to hear about the Oto dude. :(

Well due to the Rams passing and now an oto I decided to pull the piece of DW that had some kinda growth in it. I h2o2 it. I boiled it. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush.
That stuff would just come back.
I made some changes that have really opened it up a bit.
Let me know what ya think.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449470538.591953.jpg

I also failed to mention that I had to make another batch of CO2 up yesterday morning.
I had it turned up a little bit ( 1-1 1/2 ) bps to help with the control of the stag horn algae that I started seeing.
Still that gives me 3 days on a mixture.
With the 1st bottle only having 600ml and the 2nd having 200ml it really doesn't make much.
This could add up pretty quick.
The citric acid I found only came in 212ml bottles. I could not big bags/containers.

Sounds like someone should get a pressurized rig;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm in the process of putting together a order as we speak.......unfortunately it will be for the 90g though.
This one won't come till later. ?

I also failed to mention that I had to make another batch of CO2 up yesterday morning.
I had it turned up a little bit ( 1-1 1/2 ) bps to help with the control of the stag horn algae that I started seeing.
Still that gives me 3 days on a mixture.
With the 1st bottle only having 600ml and the 2nd having 200ml it really doesn't make much.
This could add up pretty quick.
The citric acid I found only came in 212ml bottles. I could not big bags/containers.

I have been mistaken it seems.
I thought when the 1st bottle was empty and all contents were in the 2nd bottle it was done. That seemed to be the issue with the yeast mixture when I tried it.
The citric acid still seems to be holding up fine and still pumping the gas station rather nicely.
I have run a solid week since the 1st bottle emptied and the Gage reads above the green zone.
On a good note....the Rotala macandra that I have struggled to keep alive is looking much better now.
I bumped up the co2 a hair over 1 bps to like 1 1/2 bps. I think I found the missing ingredient.
Unfortunately the stems look rough. The side chutes started developing and wow they are looking great. I'll grow them out then trim the side chutes off and plant the side chutes.

I couldn't resist today and picked up a couple more algae eating shrimps and 3 CRS. So far everyone is fine and doing well.
Also added a bubble counter right at the diy co2 bottle.
I have been making adjustments and waiting for it to get to the bubble counter in the diffuser. It takes soo long sometimes.
This way I can see my adjustments really quick....and I like that.

Heading out of town for a bit so thru in 3x ferts and put light on a timer.
CO2 is DIY and a new bottle just made so should last no problem and going to turn down low and let run continuously.
Should be ok I turned it so low.
Merry Christmas all ‼️

Heading out of town for a bit so thru in 3x ferts and put light on a timer.
CO2 is DIY and a new bottle just made so should last no problem and going to turn down low and let run continuously.
Should be ok I turned it so low.
Merry Christmas all ‼️

Merry Christmas Dale

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom