new to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhuber

Aquarium Advice Freak
what would be the best filtration system and what would it run me and what substrate is recommended?

What size tank are you going to work with?

Most people including myself prefer sand other gravel, it looks great and is easier to clean than gravel.

We're getting one thinking no lower then 30 possibly 55 I'm more curious of filtration

We're getting one thinking no lower then 30 possibly 55 I'm more curious of filtration

I prefer canisters over hang on filters, mainly because I don't want my tanks 4-5" away from the walls, the choice of media options are better, and the available bio-media space is much greater in a canister. For those sized tanks I'd recommend a Fluval 206-406 depending on which one you end up with.

I prefer canisters over hang on filters, mainly because I don't want my tanks 4-5" away from the walls, the choice of media options are better, and the available bio-media space is much greater in a canister. For those sized tanks I'd recommend a Fluval 206-406 depending on which one you end up with.

What filter do you recommend for a 180? It's got 3 marineland 400 emp pro-series but that doesn't give me the 10x per hour turnover that I want.

What's the cost of the filter on my community tank I have two aqua clears I like those but I'd listen to you cause I've never had chiclids.

What's the cost of the filter on my community tank I have two aqua clears I like those but I'd listen to you cause I've never had chiclids.

I have nearly a dozen Aquaclears running in my fish room, they are great filters for the money but if I had to choose I prefer canisters(I'd be broke if I bought another 10 canisters for my room). The choice of fish really doesn't impact the choice in filtration when it's adequate to begin with, as this will not eliminate the need for water changes.

Last edited:
depends on your budget also. but i would use sand . i use coral sand and a external canister filter which is 2000 lph. and my aquarium is 450 litres

I have hang obd, canisters, and sumps on various tanks. Prefer sumps! Much easier to maintain. Sand over gravel any day!

I have an open aquarium stand and small children so I'm a fan of hobs, if not for that I might would have canisters, but my water is perfectly clear and its kinda nice being able to just take a look behind the tank to make sure the filters are good

Back
Top Bottom