New update on my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got 6 danios yes ok they're territorial and yes I know that they nip at other fish I don't have any other fish in there yet but the guy said to keep them in there for 3-6 weeks to help cycle the tank

Cycling with fish is cruel to fish, (even nasty fish) the high levels of ammonia can hurt them and kill them. LFS recommend damsels because they are hardy and cheap. Not only are they nasty and territorial, they will be almost impossible to catch when you are done with them. Some bad advice from your LFS I think...

Or yeah damsels lol and he's owned a fish store for over 30yrs he knows my grandma he said they help cycle the tank faster and he said once I'm done with them he said to take them back and he'll give me half of what I payed for them

Using live fish to cycle a tank was always the reccomended way to go BUT we have learned so much about the cycle itself it is now not needed. It is cruel and painful to the fish. They may or may not live through it. even if they are nasty ( they are lol) it's just not right.

Alot of things have changed over the years, i mean 20 years ago you could smoke in a hospital! We now know smoking causes cancer. Just like we now know the ammonia in a fish tank can kill fish. You can return the fish now and do a fishless cycle and just use a dead shrimp or even pure ammonia like I do. OR you can keep the fish and do ALOT of water changes to keep them alive and your cycle will be longer.

It's up to you in the end, but at least consider the safer to fish alternatives.

:)

My LFS said that using live fish helps shorten the cycle he's been doing this for over 30yrs and he knows what he's doing my fish are still doing fine as of right now they're loving it especially the live rock

That's not true. It does not help shorten any cycle. It doesn't matter how many years someone has been in the hobby. The old ways were discarded for the new ways.

Cycling with fish is not cruel if you know what you're doing.

I've cycled every tank I've owned (and so have all my friends) using the fish in method.

With proper care and due diligence, it isn't any different from a fishless cycle.

Just a few more water changes lol.

Well, to cycle a tank is to introduce an ammonia source. With a cycle using fish, the fish make ammonia with their waste. This ammonia is poison to fish. I don't see how you can take care to not torture the fish seeing as they must swim in ammonia filled water.

All fish do they do in the ocean and there's a lot of ammonia there they're fine they swim in they're own waste all the time

Yes but in the ocean the bacteria are already there to break down the fish waste so that's not valid point at all do you understand what the cycle does?

Kinda kinda not lol it's been cycling fish less for over two weeks with live rock

The ocean is completely different than a small cube of water. You need to build a bacteria colony capable of breaking down your bio load's waste to a non-toxic point. This can be done easily without fish, and nothing needs to suffer. Or, you can use fish, like suggested, and torture them while you bacteria colony is growing.
The no fish way is better because it's more humane, and you probably don't want to keep damsels after the cycle is over, and they are difficult to catch. It's much easier to dump ammonia into the tank and just wait. Some toss in a raw cocktail shrimp and use that to start the cycle.
Using fish to cycle a tank does not make the cycle shorter.

Well I don't think I'm torturing them they seem to b fine you people are crazy with fish the fish is fine I've had live rock in there for three weeks and then I've had the power head going for two weeks before I got the damsels and trust me there's not many hiding places in the tank I can easily pick up the live rock to catch them

Well I don't think I'm torturing them they seem to b fine you people are crazy with fish the fish is fine I've had live rock in there for three weeks and then I've had the power head going for two weeks before I got the damsels and trust me there's not many hiding places in the tank I can easily pick up the live rock to catch them

Just my 2 cents. However you take it, please nobody try to argue with me. Just giving out my opinion.

Yes, you can traditionally cycle with fish. It will cycle, but you are still putting your fish at risk. You can keep a close eye on it and it will help but you yourself, (the most valuable resource to the tank) cannot be available 24/7. So, if something goes wrong, then there goes your fish. Also, just because your LFS owner has been in business for 30 years doesn't mean he always knows what he's doing. He's still a human. My father is a believer in the traditional cycle and is very closed minded to any other ways. Just because you cycle with fish doesn't mean you'll cycle faster either. I'm not a huge outgoing, you're going to hell for torturing animals kind of person but I do try to be humane as possible. I mean, a fish being in a tank full of ammonia with nothing to break it down is like us being in a room full of carbon dioxide without a window. Now that I'm done preaching to you, here's my suggestion.

Get some pure ammonia, a raw shrimp, fish good or whatever. It'll save you stress and time. You won't have to do all this WC and have to worry about the fish. If anything man, at least cycle for a whole month without fish before putting them in. They'll at least have some BB. Hell, if you wait a month with fishless it might get all the way cycled! But any prescience of sustained ammonia is dangerous! IMO buddy! Either way though, good luck!

Thnx and they seem to be doing fine as of now still so they're all good for right now

Thnx and they seem to be doing fine as of now still so they're all good for right now

You're welcome. Just keep this in the back of your mind, there could be more than meets the eye! If you run into any problems, just come on back.

Back
Top Bottom