New User - Needs advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Louise Lee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I'm new at this so hope I've started this discussion off right. I have a 60 gallon tank with two parrots; two Oscars, and two plecos. I've been wrestling with getting a blue jack Dempsey, and have researched him as a tankmate, and have seen so many different comments....some favorable and some not. Well, today I finally gave in and ordered one. So, if anyone has any suggestions as to how this will work out, I'd sure appreciate your comments. I have some time to cancel the order if most of you feel negative about this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new at this so hope I've started this discussion off right. I have a 60 gallon tank with two parrots; two Oscars, and two plecos. I've been wrestling with getting a blue jack Dempsey, and have researched him as a tankmate, and have seen so many different comments....some favorable and some not. Well, today I finally gave in and ordered one. So, if anyone has any suggestions as to how this will work out, I'd sure appreciate your comments. I have some time to cancel the order if most of you feel negative about this. Thanks.

well considering your already overstocked by about 4-5 fish i wouldnt get him. youd just be hurting the fish.

Way over stocked

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd start by rehoming the plecos. Common plecos grow large and are massive waste producers, and really don't belong in a tank under 100 gallons. Next, I'd chose between Oscar or blood parrots. 1 Oscar alone in a 60 is about the limit as far as oscars go. A pair would be best suited in a 125 gallon. The blood parrots could both be together in a 60, but again, just the 2 BP's and nothing else.

As for the electric blue Jack dempsey, I would not recommend doing it. They are notoriously finicky and extremely difficult to keep alive. You need very good stock and even then it's a toss up of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow! Once again misadvice from pet stores....I was told that the the first six was just the right amount. As for the plecos, I had planned to put one in another tank, but I think I'll take them back instead. I was told they were necessary in a tank that size. Thanks for the advice. What kind of sucker fish(s) should I get instead?

Wow! Once again misadvice from pet stores....I was told that the the first six was just the right amount. As for the plecos, I had planned to put one in another tank, but I think I'll take them back instead. I was told they were necessary in a tank that size. Thanks for the advice. What kind of sucker fish(s) should I get instead?

If you do like pleco's there are smaller species such as clowns and bristlenose. I wouldn't put them with an Oscar though they would become food one day.

Yeah you will see on here many of us do our own research and rarely listen to people at the LFS for advise. I only trust one at my LFS and that's because he actually has aquariums and we are friends now.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom