Newbie just starting fishless cycle on new 25 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like things are going great!!

For a stocking suggestion how about something like

6 rummynose tetra
6 xray(pristella) tetra
and like 4 small corys - like pygmy or panda.
and maybe a pair of dward gourami.

I'd suggest some more plants/hide outs if you went with a set up like this. I gave these 2 tetra suggestions as something else that may interest you. They have some nice coloration to them.

My oldest is almost 5 and is completely absorbed in our tank. Thankfully he hasn't tried to name them yet, gets confusing with schools of the same fish. lol

Waiting, waiting, and more waiting

Yesterday I dosed ammonia back up to 4ppm. Readings are as follows:

Ammonia still around 4ppm but really not expecting it to drop too much in just 24 hours.

PH 7.6

HPH 8.0

nitrItes at 0ppm but wasn't really expecting anything yet.

Is there any "general" rule as to how fast the ammonia should start dropping again after dosing it back up?

I'm beginning to think the cloudy water in the tank is being caused by the high amount of aeration going on right now. I have a lot of filter splash and bubble wand action going on right now. With the tank light briefly on it looks like there's a lot of very tiny bubbles floating in the water. Is this possibly the reason for the cloudiness ?

Will keep checking readings daily and report in.

Attachments

• comb6-23.jpg
    comb6-23.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 47
No general rules on anything when your fishless cycling! Let's see what happens! It's definitely possible the cloudiness may be micro bubbles- nothing to worry about. :)

jlk said:
No general rules on anything when your fishless cycling! Let's see what happens! It's definitely possible the cloudiness may be micro bubbles- nothing to worry about. :)

jlk OK thanks I'll keep you posted :)

Readings today are as follows
Ammonia 3ppm
NitrItes so far 0 ppm :-(
Ph 7.6
Hph up a bit to 8.2

The waiting game continues.

Question - my water level is down about 3 or 4 inches from all the aeration going on. I estimate about 2 or 3 gallons. Is it OK to add some prime and top it off?

Thanks

Yep, its fine! I think most people treat the top off water first rather than dosing the tank but whatever works best for you. :)

jlk said:
Yep, its fine! I think most people treat the top off water first rather than dosing the tank but whatever works best for you. :)

I meant adding the prime to the top off water. I was typing faster than thinking and both are kind of slow.
Thanks

13 Days in - latest readings - I want nitrItes !

Yep day 13 of my cycle.

Ammonia closer to 2ppm than 3ppm about in between so it's dropping

nitrItes 0 ppm "Oh where, Oh where, can my nitrItes be, Oh where, Oh, where can they be" :band:

Ph 7.6

Hph between 8.0 and 8.2

OK I'm ready for those nitrItes seems like I should start seeing something 13 days in?

The waiting .....................

Pic the green is actually a bit lighter in color than what the picture shows.

Attachments

• Comb 6-26.jpg
    Comb 6-26.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 43
jlk said:
Hang in there!! :)

Will do. Today's readings much the same ammonia dropped slightly and I expect it to possibly be at or close to 1 ppm tomorrow .

So redose back up to 4 ppm when it hits 1 ppm, or let it drop lower and then redose to 4 ppm and keep checking for nitrites?

Thanks

If it drops down to 1 (or lower) today, go ahead & add enough to bring it back up to 4ppm. Have you checked your nitrates recently (really shaking & banging those bottles)?

Status update - tank readings w/pics

If it drops down to 1 (or lower) today, go ahead & add enough to bring it back up to 4ppm. Have you checked your nitrates recently (really shaking & banging those bottles)?

jlk

Just did a test for nitrAtes (bangin those bottles till they almost broke) and all the other params too. Here's the readings at 16 days into my cycle.

ph 7.6 (tank and tap match)
hph 8.2 (tank and tap match)
ammonia 1.0 ppm
nitrItes 0 ppm
nitrAtes 5.0 ppm (tank and tap match) so I'm still not seeing any nitrItes yet. Possibly still too soon?

Ammonia is dropping so I guess I'm probably on track just moving slowly. So I'll dose it up again to 4 ppm tonight as you suggested.

So where do we go from here? Any suggestions?

Once again :thanks:

Edit - got to thinking that it took roughly 8 days for the first 4 ppm to fully drop so im at 7 days later for the second 4 ppm to drop so it's dropping at about the same rate. I'm starting to believe I'll see everything start to move quicker soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Comb 6-28.jpg
    Comb 6-28.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Tap6-28.jpg
    Tap6-28.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for checking those nitrates! Lets see how things progress over the next week. Hopefully, your ammonia will start dropping at a better pace! :)

jlk said:
Thanks for checking those nitrates! Lets see how things progress over the next week. Hopefully, your ammonia will start dropping at a better pace! :)

Sounds good. Is there anything I can do to help it along like higher water temp or more aeration?

Yes, both can help provide more ideal conditions. Temps in mid 80's & anything to increase aeration (dropping water level a bit, extra airstones/bubblers, etc) are a good idea. Granted, tanks still cycle without any extra help (i have never used heat) but it certainly may help! :)

Do-Si-Dosed back up to 4 ppm this morning. Upped the heater a bit and running more air to the airstone. Hoping things start moving faster.

Wife says just keep waiting and it will get going. She's right.

I'll report back tomorrow.

OK I'm confused need help and advice - ping jlk

Well my cycle is moving at a snail's pace :confused:

I'm 17 days into my cycle and still not seeing ammonia dropping very quickly. Takes 7 to 8 days for it to drop from 4 ppm down to 1 ppm and no nitrItes yet.

Lots of aeration, water temp around 82 degrees, tank is cloudy, ph around 7.6 and hph is hovering around 8.0 / 8.2, seems like I'm doing everything right but why is it so slow to process the ammonia?

I dosed it back up to 4 ppm on the 29th and this morning it's around 3 ppm. I know every cycle is different but I would think at 17 days in and dosing to 4 ppm each time it drops to 1 ppm that the ammonia should be dropping pretty fast by now and I should be seeing some nitrItes?

My filter is the aquaclear 50 and my media is the one piece of stock foam in the bottom followed by another foam cut in half to replace the carbon with the ceramic ring bag on top. All of the media is fully covered by the water in the filter and the flow is good. I did notice that the bag for the ceramic rings is starting to get some brown colored stringy type build up on it. Is that OK?

jlk what do you think? Where do we go from here?

:thanks:

I'm sorry this isn't progressing faster' your doing everything right!! Is there any way you can get some cycled media to jump start things? Some people don't even see amm drops for 3 wks starting out from scratch. Let's try this- do a big water change & double dose your conditioner. Then only add enough amm to bring it to 2ppm. The brown stuff is normal- just wipe it off before a wc. Keep us posted! :)

jlk said:
I'm sorry this isn't progressing faster' your doing everything right!! Is there any way you can get some cycled media to jump start things? Some people don't even see amm drops for 3 wks starting out from scratch. Let's try this- do a big water change & double dose your conditioner. Then only add enough amm to bring it to 2ppm. The brown stuff is normal- just wipe it off before a wc. Keep us posted! :)

Thanks so about 50% water change or more? I'll check around for some cycled media I'm in surprise arizona part of the greater phoenix area so probably there's a LFS that sells it.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom