Newbie with 2 Platy in a 10gallon...help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprlshwrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok...so I just got 2 new fish for my 10 gallon tank that I've been running since Friday. I was hesitant because I didn't want anything to go wrong. However, I'm not naive enough to think that I'm going to be perfect at this right from the start.

So, I added my fish today and for a bit...they just sank and floated down to the bottom of the tank. I figured, it could be that they are adjusting to the new tank. Not a big deal. However, about 2 hours later, I have one extremely active platy and one that tends to hang out at the top and I'm concerned she might be having trouble breathing.

I've tested the water numerous times but the only thing I can think of is that the ammonia level is high. It tested at .25. (I'm using an API test kit.) I realize that the tank will need to cycle but I was wondering if there is anything I should do right now to help this poor platy out. The other one is having a grand 'ol time without any issues. In fact, it keeps chasing the other one. Lots o' energy!

My measurements are as follows:
pH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia .25

I was guessing that I was going to have to do daily water changes for a while but should I go ahead and do that now? I mean I just put them in like 2 hours ago. If I do, should I let the tap water sit for a day or can I go ahead and just change the water if I get it close to the same temp? Any and all advice is welcome.

I know that platy are hardy fish but...I'm sure that they don't want to be put through the ringer just because they're hardy fish.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Are you familiar with cycling? You'll have to complete your cycle with fish now, but you can do it. =] You should do daily changes, but to be honest, I'd wait a little bit before you do your first one. As long as the ammonia doesn't go above .25 you'll be okay.

Yes, I'm familiar with the cycling process...I think I've read so much about it I could probably give a course...okay, maybe not but...
I just worry because I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

A couple questions...
If they stay in one spot, is that a bad thing? Or should I be concerned about that at all, especially on the first day?

Should I do a water change in 24 hours or later tonight? How long is the correct time to wait?

Ok...so I just got 2 new fish for my 10 gallon tank that I've been running since Friday. I was hesitant because I didn't want anything to go wrong. However, I'm not naive enough to think that I'm going to be perfect at this right from the start.

So, I added my fish today and for a bit...they just sank and floated down to the bottom of the tank. I figured, it could be that they are adjusting to the new tank. Not a big deal. However, about 2 hours later, I have one extremely active platy and one that tends to hang out at the top and I'm concerned she might be having trouble breathing.

I've tested the water numerous times but the only thing I can think of is that the ammonia level is high. It tested at .25. (I'm using an API test kit.) I realize that the tank will need to cycle but I was wondering if there is anything I should do right now to help this poor platy out. The other one is having a grand 'ol time without any issues. In fact, it keeps chasing the other one. Lots o' energy!

My measurements are as follows:
pH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia .25

I was guessing that I was going to have to do daily water changes for a while but should I go ahead and do that now? I mean I just put them in like 2 hours ago. If I do, should I let the tap water sit for a day or can I go ahead and just change the water if I get it close to the same temp? Any and all advice is welcome.

I know that platy are hardy fish but...I'm sure that they don't want to be put through the ringer just because they're hardy fish.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

I'd suggest you go to the link below and read up on cycling with fish. Hardy or not, cycling with fish is hard on the fish.

Good Luck!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

I'd do another PWC now. If in 2 hours the ammonia went up to .25ppm, imagine if you'll wait until tonight. In your case I'll do more than one PWC in a day

There's a lot of reasons you could be concerned.

Based on your acclimation, they could be dying of pH shock. They could have parasites or infections from the pet store. They could be bad livestock or weak from inbreeding. There are a billion reasons.

Or, as is more likely, they're just getting used to your tank. =] I wouldn't recommend cycling with fish, but if you're going to do it, you may have to get used to stressed behavior.

In any case, I would wait maybe 24 hours but no more. There's no set time to do a PWC, but most people will say do it daily. Just make sure the temperature is the same so you don't stress them more.

Do you use a water conditioner when doing PWC? What I do is I use a thermometer to check the faucet and when it's the same temp as the tank I'll pour it in a container then add the water conditioner then add it in the tank.

the one that keeps chasing the other is probably a male,chances are the others a female.

You may need to do 2 or more PWC a day depending on what the parameters of your water is. Ammo 0-.25ppm and no2 0ppm is what you're looking to stay at, during the next 1-2 months of cycling with fish.

I'd check your ammonia level 2-3 times a day just to see how fast it accumulates. Then base on that if you'll need to do a PWC.

Well, the ammonia was already at .25 and I was told that was okay...to start...but I would need to do daily water changes anyway. Which I'm prepared to do, I just didn't want to do it too soon if I could wait to do it tomorrow. I figured just moving would be stressful so a water change on top of that would just be more stressful.

Another question...how long should I do daily water changes?

aprlshwrs said:
Well, the ammonia was already at .25 and I was told that was okay...to start...but I would need to do daily water changes anyway. Which I'm prepared to do, I just didn't want to do it too soon if I could wait to do it tomorrow. I figured just moving would be stressful so a water change on top of that would just be more stressful.

Another question...how long should I do daily water changes?

As fast as you can to prevent temperature drop in the tank. For you will need to turn off everything including heater when doing a PWC.

As fast as you can to prevent temperature drop in the tank. For you will need to turn off everything including heater when doing a PWC.
Lol...I meant, should I be doing it for two weeks, a month, throughout the entire cycling process?

Oh...and to someone's earlier question, yes, I did add a conditioner to the water and I have water waiting to do a water change and I already add conditioner to those containers as well.

aprlshwrs said:
Lol...I meant, should I be doing it for two weeks, a month, throughout the entire cycling process?

Oh...and to someone's earlier question, yes, I did add a conditioner to the water and I have water waiting to do a water change and I already add conditioner to those containers as well.

You'd base on your tests. Keep the ammonia and nitrite below .25ppm until your tank cycles(0.0ppm ammonia and NO2)

You use gravel vac to clean your substrate? I'll just clean part of it each time you do a PWC. Different part each PWC.

PWC thru out the cycling process.

There will be days that those levels will stay below .25ppm. You don't have to do a PWC on those days. That's why I said to base on your tests if you need to do a PWC.

Back
Top Bottom