Newbie with 2 Platy in a 10gallon...help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually Roy is right. Ammonia is present in many peoples' tap water. However, Prime and AquaSafe's ingredients neutralize ammonia as well as chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.

Google it. There are a lot of cases where they have a hint of ammonia in their tap water. I just read one and he has .15ppm NH4 in his tap water.

Rosenweiss said:
Actually Roy is right. Ammonia is present in many peoples' tap water. However, Prime and AquaSafe's ingredients neutralize ammonia as well as chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.

Thank you.

Mr. Limpet said:
?? Tap water doesn't have ammo, it has chlorine/chloramine.

And chloramine isn't part ammonia? Is it impossible for the chlorine and ammonia to un-bind? I doubt that would be the case if you run your water for any length of time, i'm just curious from a water chemisty stand point.

Speaking of water chemisty, doesn't a portion of the ammonia convert to ammonium at that pH? ( NH3 -> NH4+ ) which is [slightly] less harmful?

My advice for cycling at this point: feed SPARINGLY and only every 2-3 days. Healthy adult fish can go a week w/o eating. Cutting the feedings will help reduce ammonia input imho.

EGMono said:
And chloramine isn't part ammonia? Is it impossible for the chlorine and ammonia to un-bind? I doubt that would be the case if you run your water for any length of time, i'm just curious from a water chemisty stand point.

Speaking of water chemisty, doesn't a portion of the ammonia convert to ammonium at that pH? ( NH3 -> NH4+ ) which is [slightly] less harmful?

My advice for cycling at this point: feed SPARINGLY and only every 2-3 days. Healthy adult fish can go a week w/o eating. Cutting the feedings will help reduce ammonia input imho.

Im not saying that it wont un-bind but there is a possibility that it can happen. How else will you find ammonia in the water? I would definitely want to find out.

+1 on feeding for only a few days a week to reduce waste.

Thanks for the advice about feeding. And...about testing my tap water for ammonia...thanks...it does have ammonia...same level.

You answered my question about feeding, as well, and I didn't even have to ask. I wasn't going to feed them for a bit anyway and I was wondering if I was doing the right thing. Now I know.

Oh, also, this has helped a lot of people.

The ammonia color on the API test card for 0 is wrong. Just plain wrong. Your water levels will never look that dark, opaque color of yellow. Furthermore, putting the tube against the card will almost always make 0 look like .25.

Instead, hold up your test tube to natural light and look at it that way. If there is no hint of green in the tube, you have 0, and your card has just deceived you.

This happened to me. I had 0 nitrites, a reading of nitrates and ".25" ammonia for like, a week, before realizing I was reading it wrong.

aprlshwrs said:
Thanks for the advice about feeding. And...about testing my tap water for ammonia...thanks...it does have ammonia...same level.

I'd highly recommend using Prime water conditioner by Seachem because of the ammonia in your tap.

Yeesh, glad I live in an area that actually regulates the quality of our water supply. We have 0ppm ammo and our specific service can't even use chlorimine by county regulations.

Yes, I'm familiar with the cycling process...I think I've read so much about it I could probably give a course...okay, maybe not but...
I just worry because I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

A couple questions...
If they stay in one spot, is that a bad thing? Or should I be concerned about that at all, especially on the first day?

Should I do a water change in 24 hours or later tonight? How long is the correct time to wait?

it could be pregnant does she have a dark spot near the back of her belly?

:thanks: Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! I now need to go take a nap...I have a lot to do tonight and I'm becoming sooo distracted.

just remember,not all fish get the gravid spot,the first time my swordtail gave birth she didnt have it.

The ammonia color on the API test card for 0 is wrong. Just plain wrong. Your water levels will never look that dark, opaque color of yellow. Furthermore, putting the tube against the card will almost always make 0 look like .25.

Instead, hold up your test tube to natural light and look at it that way. If there is no hint of green in the tube, you have 0, and your card has just deceived you.

This happened to me. I had 0 nitrites, a reading of nitrates and ".25" ammonia for like, a week, before realizing I was reading it wrong.

You may be right...I'll get a 2nd opinion on the test.

just made me think the way you said one was chasing the other it might be a male and female and alot of livebearers come from the pet store already pregnant

Umm... Nope, ammo is a poison and is never used to clean water. Bleach (diluted) can be used to debug water in emergency situations but I've never heard of it being used my MWS.

I think its more of a waste product from the breaking down of proteins than a 'poison'...

Yeesh, glad I live in an area that actually regulates the quality of our water supply. We have 0ppm ammo and our specific service can't even use chlorimine by county regulations.

Wow strict... I like it! My current PWS (public water supply) pumps it from a well, adds phosphate for iron control, and good 'ol bleach for the disinfectant. Never noticed NH3 / NH4+ in the water... now i'm gonna have to check :D

You are absolutely correct! Thank you! I was reading it as .25 because I was told to hold it against the card. When I held it up to light it just looks yellow. So, I can adjust my measurements to:

pH 8.2
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0

Still, my one fish is just hangin' out at the top of the aquarium. I'll check and see how she's doing tomorrow. The other, he's still doin' great. (I learned how to tell the male from the female as well...def a male and female). However, I'll let you know how it all turns out in about 8 weeks, though.

Someone suggested the female may be pregnant...if she is, what should I do? They look awfully small to be already pregnant but eh...what do I know? What other things should I be looking for if there is a possibility that she is pregnant? (Ex. Hangin' out at the top of the tank...) Will the water harm the fry if the tank is not cycled fully yet? How do I protect them? Just trying to get ahead of the issue.

I'm planning to do a PWC tomorrow afternoon...maybe 25%? I have water set aside for that right now.

That's good. If ammonia and nitrite is 0ppm nitrate is in good level, you'll be fine without doing a PWC today.

Back
Top Bottom