Newbie with 2 Platy in a 10gallon...help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if she is pregnant a gravid spot is usally but not always present (dark spot near the end of the belly) a breeder net would be good to have but only if you want to keep the fry. if not the other two will eat most of them but if you have alot of plants and hiding spots then they might do ok without the breeding net

i wouldnt advise putting the pregnant female in the net as its pretty stressful to them insted when you notice fry in the tank scoop them out and place them into the net.

I think she is pregnant. That being said...would it be wise to keep the fry? I mean, my tank is only a 10g because I live in an apartment and, at the moment, I have no where else to put a larger tank. Not to mention, I was only expecting work with 2 fish until I was through the cycling process. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could get a larger tank and rearrange my living room a bit but...I may end up just trying to find a home for them. I think I have a while anyway...I hope.

I think she is pregnant. That being said...would it be wise to keep the fry? I mean, my tank is only a 10g because I live in an apartment and, at the moment, I have no where else to put a larger tank. Not to mention, I was only expecting work with 2 fish until I was through the cycling process. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could get a larger tank and rearrange my living room a bit but...I may end up just trying to find a home for them. I think I have a while anyway...I hope.

Regarding the fry, I believe Doris Day said it best with "Que Sera, Sera" (whatever will be, will be). Instead, try to sit back and enjoy watching your tank cycle. There will be plenty of time to accumulate dozens of tanks later! ;)

thats absolutly right just let your fish take care of them and save the headache. but if you dont like the thought of your fish eating their babies get a cheep breeding net it just hooks onto your tank mine cost 3$ and put an ad in you local classifieds for free platy fry someone will scoop them up

Ok...I'm still worried about this one platy. She was the one who was always near the top. Now, I have an air stone in the tank and she doesn't stay near the top but she looks like she's struggling. Her tail is moving quickly where as the male is just calmly swimming around the tank. She looks like she's really working. Also, I read somewhere that their tail shouldn't really be above the head. She seems to be that way now. What is wrong? Is she sick, maybe?

Does it seem like it's swimming really hard by not getting anywhere at all and couldn't arches near the tail?

aprlshwrs said:
Ok...I'm still worried about this one platy. She was the one who was always near the top. Now, I have an air stone in the tank and she doesn't stay near the top but she looks like she's struggling. Her tail is moving quickly where as the male is just calmly swimming around the tank. She looks like she's really working. Also, I read somewhere that their tail shouldn't really be above the head. She seems to be that way now. What is wrong? Is she sick, maybe?

I hate to say it, but now might be the time to check your LFS return policy. Not EVERY fish is perfectly healthy and without defect, even if looked healthy in the store. That store might order 1-2 dozen/wk, multiplied by all the stores that fish farm distributes to. If one is healthy and active, AND your water tests are good (most LFS I know want a sample of your tank water before they do the exchange), and the other is not, exchange it before you pull your hair out.

Well, now she seems to be just hangin' out in the middle of the tank. The male is hangin' out near her and every now and then she 'nips' at him but she doesn't swim away. Occasionally, she'll jerk to the left but that's it. He's not chasing her, just staying close.

The girl at my LFS told me there was a 30 day return policy. She told me that as she was handing me the fish.

I have to admit though, I'm pretty happy with my LFS even though it's a chain. The people that I have spoken to there have pretty much told me everything everyone here is telling me. I was ready to completely discount them but the people I'm talking to seem to know what they're doing. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Anyway, I will see how the female is doing tomorrow and make a final decision then.

aprlshwrs said:
The girl at my LFS told me there was a 30 day return policy. She told me that as she was handing me the fish.

I have to admit though, I'm pretty happy with my LFS even though it's a chain. The people that I have spoken to there have pretty much told me everything everyone here is telling me. I was ready to completely discount them but the people I'm talking to seem to know what they're doing. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Anyway, I will see how the female is doing tomorrow and make a final decision then.

I worked at a chain store for a while. They are like ANY other store, for any type of merchandise. Some people will know what they're doing and others won't. Take as LONG as you need to make your decision (up to 30 days ;) )

EGMono said:
I worked at a chain store for a while. They are like ANY other store, for any type of merchandise. Some people will know what they're doing and others won't. Take as LONG as you need to make your decision (up to 30 days ;) )

But not to Long that the fish suffers to much IMO

Do you use a water conditioner when doing PWC? What I do is I use a thermometer to check the faucet and when it's the same temp as the tank I'll pour it in a container then add the water conditioner then add it in the tank.

OMG that's a brilliant idea! :facepalm: Going to buy another thermometer before I'm able to add fish. How long does it take before you're sure the therm is reading the right temp? (sorry don't meant to hijack the thread)

I would get a digital thermometer. I think they read(?) the temp faster. I usually add the water conditioner at the beginning of filling up the container so that I'm sure it mixes with water and really get rid of the chlorine and chloramine. Don't wait until you fill it up to add the conditioner.

I would get a digital thermometer. I think they read(?) the temp faster. I usually add the water conditioner at the beginning of filling up the container so that I'm sure it mixes with water and really get rid of the chlorine and chloramine. Don't wait until you fill it up to add the conditioner.

you're just full of good tips! thank you!!

roydooms said:

I remember there being two types of plain (read as: not digital) thermometers, one with "stuff" to keep the reading more stable (read as: SLOW), but the other one should work. I think it was one that hung over the edge of the tank as opposed to the floating/suction cup kind. But yes... digital is better if it's not much more expensive. ;)

Ok...I have another question(s). I was planning on doing water changes, at least, every other day but my nitrite levels are still 0 and so are my ammonia levels. However, my pH is now 8.4. (It was 8.2) Should I go ahead and do a water change today anyway or leave it alone if the ammonia and nitrite levels have not changed yet. Also, my apartment gets very warm in the warmer months and sometimes will reach almost 90 degrees without the air conditioning. (Not there yet...thank goodness). The water temp in the tank had been hovering between 76-78 degrees. Now, it's at 78-80 but yesterday it was at 82-84. So, I turned the heater down and opened a couple windows. From my research, I read platys do well in temps up to about 78 degrees but will it harm them if temp goes a bit higher? How high is too high? Is there a way to cool the tank, if necessary? Should I even be worrying about it?

Another thing not directly related to water quality...the hood to my aquarium is not on completely because the filter and the heater are in the way. Should I cut the space on the hood to make room for that and make the fit around the aquarium tighter? How do I do that...the hood plastic is not exactly pliant. I found a bug in the water this morning because, I suppose, he was attracted to the florescent light. Annoying.

Then...fish related...my male platy is swimming around, occasionally chasing the female and occasionally attacking his own reflection. (Actually, he spends a lot of time attacking his own reflection). The female (unless she's being chased by the male) tends to stay near the top of the aquarium. I added an air stone because I was concerned that maybe she was having trouble breathing but...it didn't make a difference except that she avoids the top of the water if there are bubbles from the air stone. Occasionally, the male will hang out at the top too but he prefers to swim all over the place. So, my question is...do you think the female is just not handling this well, is she just trying to stay as far away from the male (I don't blame her) as possible or am I do something else wrong?

Any thoughts or comments would be helpful. Thanks!

...turned the heater down and opened a couple windows...

YOUR TANK HAS WINDOWS??? :D

A few degrees in any direction isn't a big deal, only a SUDDEN change -- adding hot/cold water during a PWC for example. Heck, the outdoor fishfarm ponds here in FL don't even have heaters AFAIK. Expect the pH to dip slightly as the fish release CO2 which combines with the water to form carbonic acid, but again, fish adapt to gradual change.

Does it look like your hood has perforated areas at the back, about the width of a cord or two? Now that mention the bug... do you leave the lights on at night? How are the fish supposed to sleep?? :D

IMO leaving the light on when you're not enjoying your fish is not only a waste of money, but contributes to algae unless your trying to grow live plants, which have specific lighting needs.

As a married man I refuse to answer any questions regarding Mrs Platy's behavior toward Mr Platy (but putting some plants on the (in) side or background on the (out) side may cut down the glare, reflection, and need for the Platys to go to couples therapy.)

...turned the heater down and opened a couple windows...

YOUR TANK HAS WINDOWS??? :D

A few degrees in any direction isn't a big deal, only a SUDDEN change -- adding hot/cold water during a PWC for example. Heck, the outdoor fishfarm ponds here in FL don't even have heaters AFAIK. Expect the pH to dip slightly as the fish release CO2 which combines with the water to form carbonic acid, but again, fish adapt to gradual change.

Does it look like your hood has perforated areas at the back, about the width of a cord or two? Now that mention the bug... do you leave the lights on at night? How are the fish supposed to sleep?? :D

IMO leaving the light on when you're not enjoying your fish is not only a waste of money, but contributes to algae unless your trying to grow live plants, which have specific lighting needs.

As a married man I refuse to answer any questions regarding Mrs Platy's behavior toward Mr Platy (but putting some plants on the (in) side or background on the (out) side may cut down the glare, reflection, and need for the Platys to go to couples therapy.)

Haha...no windows on the tank. It's good to know about the temperature though.

Pardon my naivety when it comes to chemistry (I barely passed that class.) When you say that the pH may go down you do mean like towards 7 and not towards a 9, right? Because mine went up(?) to 8.4 from an 8.2 and I was wondering if I should be cautious of it rising any higher.

If I have fish in the tank during the cycling process, how soon should the tank start cycling? Or the better question might be how soon should you be able to tell that the tank has begun cycling?

I don't leave the light on at night, it is on a timer and comes on at 8am and then goes off at 8pm. Although, I was thinking about shortening that and having it come on a little later and go off a bit earlier.

The hood does have perforations in it but I bet you're going to tell me that there is still no easy way to cut them out. :ermm:

Finally, my biggest concern is how the two fish are (not) eating. The male seems to go for the flakes every time I put them in the tank (about 1-2 a day) but he eats them and then pushes them back out again. The female may go for the flakes but not really. She ignores them most of the time. I then end up picking up the remaining flakes with the fish net. I wonder if I should just take them both back to the pet store and cycle my tank completely without them.

I'm concerned and don't want them to starve to death on top of everything else.

I hope to get a 55 gallon tank one day and get some fancy goldfish...so I want to make sure I do this cycling correctly so I can do a bit better when I go for more expensive fish.

if you can take them back it'd be better to do a fishless cycle, but i've currently have 5 fish in a 10 gallon (cycling) and am doing great so far

Well, I'd rather not take them back but, to me, they look stressed out. If they don't start eating, I'll take them back.

My biggest question is...how long should it take before the tank starts showing signs of cycling.

Back
Top Bottom