The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlboro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all :)
I just purchased my tank and all the equipment and was wondering if I could use regular sea water instead of using tap water mixed with salt. What are the pluses and minuses for doing that, I live right on the beach so I get water for my changes as well. Thanks :>

you can use NSW, but not from boston! There is a ton of pollution here in the harbor. If you have a boat, and can go out a few miles in a direction other than the way the pollution flows, then MAYBE. it's easier/cheaper IMO to use salt mix and RODI water.

Plus, is hey it's.. kind of natural.

Minus, you can introduce all sorts of yucky stuff into your tank.

Welcome Marlboro! :smilecolros:

Can't help with that question, but let us know anyway what size tank and about planned inhabitants. Massachussetts beach water? Hmmm.....

Done your reading? Plans for a QT? :soap:

Good luck and hope to hear abuot your progress.

Thanks for the replies :) Would it make my tank cycle faster or would it be the same as using salt mixed water ? thanks

Austinsdad, Thanks! The tank is 75 gal, I am planning on doing a fowlr. I am leaning toward a Lionfish and a picasso, these would be the only two fish in there. I am new to the saltwater scene but I have a friend whos gonna help me out. And I know I ll get all the help I need from this forum :)

I collect saltwater from the beach near my house, and have had no problems with it. All of my live rock is local, and one of my three fish is as well. Before you collect anything from local beaches however, check with the Division of Land and Natural Resources to see what is legal to take. I was able to do this online.

IMO that would spell bad news. Not only the pollutants, but a decent chance a parasite could be introduced.
I would stick with salt mix.
Oh,and welcome to AA!! :D

psha, the fish live in the ocean, not a big tub of RO/DI water and Oceanic salt mix. I have seen a couple articles with folks (Obviously in the $$) who live on the beach that actually use the ocean as their refuge/sump. That is they have plumbed the tank to feed out of and into the ocean. Legal? Dunno. Natural? Absolutely. My parents live on the coast in NC, given the chance, I would pay them to bring 20 - 30 gallons for nsw to me. It contains...well, everthing the ocean animals need. The only downside I can imagine (theoretically, no articles to support this) is that you may not get the enhanced growth some of us get by using certain additives and salt mixes that are geared toward growing your animals. You mentioned fowlr tank, so I suppose its not too big a deal, but in the long run, you may find it a hassle to keep heading 12 miles out to sea (Specially on the *cold cold* days) and retrieve fresh nsw. They need their water changes, or they get cranky!

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom