Newcomer to Saltwater needs help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjwilley718

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello to all,

This is my first post and man I really need some help. After a year of back and forth I have decided that I really want to start a FOWLR tank. I'm thinking probably 50-75 gallon tank. I'm starting this thread to hopefully get some advice on which equipment to buy and what I am looking at as far as startup cost? I do want a couple of clownfish, maybe a tang, cleaner shrimp, maybe a starfish, and maybe a few Kaudern Cardinals. This list is not set in stone yet as I need to get my tank cycling first, well actually I need to purchase it first. I would appreciate any and all help that you all can help me.

I like much cardinal, I like the choice :)

Ok now to answer the question. If you want a tang there are only a few that could work in a tank as small as 75 gallons. If you really want a specific tang you may need a larger tank.

You should have about 1-1.5 pounds of live rock per gallon. Unless you want just a glass bottom research your planned livestock and see if any require a deep sand bed, like jaw fish for example. I would avoid using crushed coral in your sand bed.

For filtration the live rock will do a majority of the work for you. I suggest a sump tank with a protein skimmer.

Lighting is rather easy for a fowlr tank. But if you plan on having coral or anemones in the future I recommend starting out with quality lighting such as leds.

As for money, salt water is a never ending money pit. :) Its worth it thought.

Thanks on the Cardinal, I think that one is a neat looking one. What are your thoughts about the clownfish? I really would like to do Live rock instead of just a sand bed.

Could you give me some suggestions on which sump tanks, protein skimmers, and lighting I should get? I'm looking for just a few specific suggestions. I know that these will be very opinionated, but I need to know where to start.

As far as cost, I know it will be a never ending money pit, but I want to get an idea of startup costs.

Back
Top Bottom