Nikachus 37 Gallon Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your ammonia will spike like off the charts once during cycling and after it reaches 0 your nitrites will spike and go to 0 and same with nitrate but its hard to get a complete 0 reading on nitrates since its always present but not harmful to the fish. If you have had these super high spikes you are super close to being done cycling I would keep an eye out and keep testing water. Did you use live sand and already cured live rock? This can put you in a mini cycle and speed things up super fast but can be delicate still to add fish. If you just used crushed shell or just regular sand and uncured uncycled base rock it's going to take some time still but it's best to do it that way and let nature run its cycle

Don't get a fish until you have everything back in your tank and it has settled for a few days. Getting a fish and putting it in the tub and then moving it into the tank would be stressful on the fish. Get everything in the tank, let it settle a couple days, test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If the water is 0 0 and there are a bunch of nitrates then your cycle is probably over. Do a big water change, let the tank sit for 24 hours, test the water, if its still reading 0's then get a fish. Then test the water 24 hours after your first fish to make sure you don't have a spike in ammonia or nitrites. Have some saltwater on hand incase you need to do a water change. I know how bad you want a fish, but let me tell you, it's not worth losing them. I lost 3 yellow clown gobies when I first got my tank up and running. Then I went even slower. I had a small clean up crew and a zoa and a candy cane coral for 2 months before I added my yellow tail damsel. Slowly is the key. Let your tank settle and make sure all is well. Add things slowly and with caution so you have a better chance of things not dying.

The only problem is I'm cycling the water in a bucket and my lfs ran out of clowns they are awesome I can get healthy designer clowns for only 5-10$

What do you mean? Water does not cycle. BB grow on the rocks and sand and other surfaces. The cycle refers to the stages of BACTERIA growth as INDICATED by nitrogen levels. The cycle DOES NOT refer to the nitrogen levels themselves.
Cycling the water in a bucket, following with a massive water change to reduce nitrates after would mean dumping the bucket out and putting different water into the tank. What's the point?

Nicachu, Get your own test kit you'll be better off in the long run. From the looks of things id say your done with the cycle. :dance:
Now having said that you will need to check for a mini cycle when you put your stuff back in the tank This is where having your own test kit helps. The 2 fire fish will fight, id go with one to be safe

Nicachu, Get your own test kit you'll be better off in the long run. From the looks of things id say your done with the cycle. :dance:
Now having said that you will need to check for a mini cycle when you put your stuff back in the tank This is where having your own test kit helps. The 2 fire fish will fight, id go with one to be safe

My 2 fire fish do just fine togethere they even house together

Yea like dude said you have to have your sand and rocks in the bucket your cycling in so the bb will grow on it if you just have your rock and sand sitting in the tank withoutht the saltwater your not doing anything at all

I really believe you'l have a mini cycle when you put your rock and sand in your tank. I wouldn't add fish till your cycle is complete and the rock and sand have been in your tank for about 3 days! When I transferred my rock it caused a mini cycle and I lost my cleaner shrimp. It was a sad day. Really try to learn from all our mistakes

I also put a lot of dr Tim's one and only. I recommend it! Still no cycle...

I would like to know how many saltwater tanks you've cycled with Dr Tims? How many fish did you immediately put in afterwards and did you get any ammonia spike? Have your instant cycles been more effective in larger tanks or smaller ones? What process have you effectively used to cycle your tanks with this additive?

Iv'e used it in 11 tanks ranging from 20-180 gallons I dose pure ammonia to .20ppm then add a bottle of Dr Tims wait 3 days and test, most times the ammo has dropped to .5-10ppm after 5-7 days i find no ammo no NitrItes, NitrAtes are very high so a large WC is needed After that i add 1-2 small fish wait a few 3-5 days and test again. I have yet to lose a fish

Back
Top Bottom