Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which tank you needing flow in? The 5.5?
Fluval makes a co2 kit similar to the UpAqua Pierce system.

Jesse

Yeah, this one.

I've seen that Fluval one, is there a way to fix a bigger Co2 tank on it so I don't always have to buy those little ones that are made by Fluval?

I would think that any 88 gram cylinder will work but I'm not sure. If they would, I seen 88 gram two pack deals on clearance at Walmart for like $2.88 per pack.

Jesse

What about something like this for increased flow? It's internal so I assume it's got a little spray bar. I have never used this product. Purchased accidentally. Pm for more info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445385124156.jpg
    1445385124156.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 60
So here's a little bit of an update.
Fixed the flow problem :) Turns out I just had to rinse out the pre filter sponge in a bucket of tank water, stuck it back on the intake and water's moving just like it used to.

Plant wise, we're doing great! Bulbs, fox tail and the floaters are growing like there's no tomorrow. Dwarf water lettuce (referred to as DWL from here on out) is throwing out some sister plants. Blyxa is doing great, as usual, and still growing! I ripped the DHG today because it wasn't doing so well. Threw it in the 16, oddly enough the plants I originally put in their are doing great and sending out runners. Weird that it does so well in the low tech, and so bad in the high tech.

Fish/shrimp wise, everything is fine. Feeding is a PITA as usual, only one of the puffers takes frozen. Going to have to see when one of my parents needs to drive to the next town over, that's where the LFS that carries black worms is. Otherwise the puffs are healthy. Shrimp still having fun, making babies, eating food. Speaking of shrimp, I get some more tomorrow! Got shipped Monday. These are a higher grade than the ones in the tank right now. Hopefully add some more color to the new generations. Excited for them tomorrow! I was thinking of throwing them in the 16, but wasn't sure with the ram pair in there, seeing how they go after the amano shrimp when they get too close to the nest. This, and the fact that RCS are a lot smaller.
Anyway, that's pretty much all. Thanks for tuning in!

Did you go with fire reds?

Not sure about the rams but I personally would chance it. I tried a few blue dreams in my 16g and the peacock gudgeons made snacks out of them in no time :eek:

Did you go with fire reds?

Not sure about the rams but I personally would chance it. I tried a few blue dreams in my 16g and the peacock gudgeons made snacks out of them in no time :eek:

Nope, just a bit more colored shrimp. Don't know the exact grade, but I got them from a member on here. Just a little more red I believe.

Not sure about the rams but I personally would chance it. I tried a few blue dreams in my 16g and the peacock gudgeons made snacks out of them in no time :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I figured. Didn't want to risk it. May try it with some bigger ones at some point.

Small tanks can be awesome! Sorry, no experience with that filter; have you considered a sponge filter?

I have six tanks 5g and under, none of them are heated.

HI theresa - if you don't mind me asking how do you keep your small tanks above 70 and stable? I live in NC with a/c in summer and heat in winter but my 1g betta bowl dropped to 70. I'm willing to go to a 2.5 but need to learn the tricks of the trade. P.S. this betta loves his bowl. He was in a 2.5 and his reflection on all sides made him crazy so back in bowl and interactive puppy dog again. Thank you for any and all small tank no heater advice you can share.

HI theresa - if you don't mind me asking how do you keep your small tanks above 70 and stable? I live in NC with a/c in summer and heat in winter but my 1g betta bowl dropped to 70. I'm willing to go to a 2.5 but need to learn the tricks of the trade. P.S. this betta loves his bowl. He was in a 2.5 and his reflection on all sides made him crazy so back in bowl and interactive puppy dog again. Thank you for any and all small tank no heater advice you can share.

I'm also in NC! :)

There are very small heaters you an get for your tank. You'll find them for under $15 at chain pet stores.

If he was flaring at his reflection that's probably a good thing actually, although I'm no expert on bettas.

Occasional flaring is healthy. Show bettas are trained to flare almost on command. Breeders put pieces of paper or cardboard so the fish can't see each other. Then for so long each day the blinder is removed so the fish can flare at each other. Too much or constant flaring is stressful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'm also in NC! :)

There are very small heaters you an get for your tank. You'll find them for under $15 at chain pet stores.

If he was flaring at his reflection that's probably a good thing actually, although I'm no expert on bettas.

Thank you for your reply! cords coming out of bowls look terrible. My goal is to maintain stable 72 degrees with no heater. Would love to know how you do it in your tanks?

Thank you for your reply! cords coming out of bowls look terrible. My goal is to maintain stable 72 degrees with no heater. Would love to know how you do it in your tanks?

I don't lol...

All of my tanks have heaters. I have heard of a "coaster" style heater that sits under a bowl.

I don't lol...

All of my tanks have heaters. I have heard of a "coaster" style heater that sits under a bowl.

Yea, this is how I heated my hermit crab tank. It was just a heat pad that stuck on the side of a 10 gallon.

I'll have some pics later today, after school. I probably will have the shrimp by then!

Occasional flaring is healthy. Show bettas are trained to flare almost on command. Breeders put pieces of paper or cardboard so the fish can't see each other. Then for so long each day the blinder is removed so the fish can flare at each other. Too much or constant flaring is stressful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thank you Brennae. I guess Doublure D'Argent (silver lining) was just one of those very relaxed but very curious bettas because he had never flared before that tank change. I left him there a full day to see if he would settle and no. It was disturbing to watch a fish still in panic mode for over 8 hours because like you noted, I couldn't make the other bettas go away. Everywhere he turned there they were!

I don't lol...

Thank you fishperson! We looked at those yesterday... my husband was worried it might crack the glass because the reviews of this pretty modern looking Top Fin glass bowl say it is prone to cracking for no apparent reason just out of the blue hence the jump to the 2.5. But no...in a perfect world there exists a quality 2g glass bowl....the hunt begins. We have an emergency large vase prepped and ready just in case until then.

Yea, this is how I heated my hermit crab tank. It was just a heat pad that stuck on the side of a 10 gallon.

I'll have some pics later today, after school. I probably will have the shrimp by then!

Thank you Nils. Didn't mean to hijack your thread but saw an opportunity to gather some interesting intel. By the way we have hermit crabs too with a big old reptile lamp thing sitting on the screen top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom