Noob needing help -- 55 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you don't know exactly what it is, ditch it.

If I might ask, what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings today? Is your tank actually cycled?

test results

I used the API Master test kit. everything was at the bare minimum the nitrate was around 15

Sounds like its cycled ok if your Ammonia and Nitrite test results were 0ppm. If you saw any detectable ammonia or nitrite, just test again daily for a few more. The tank is probably in its last few days of cycling. In every cycle I've done, water parameters can go a bit wierd for a day or two in the final few days of the process, so another quick PWC may be in order.

And enjoy your new additions!

moved to FW forum.

Noting that you are interested in oscars in your other thread, I think a canister was a wise choice.

What is that TLC thing? Is it a live bacteria from his tank? If so, you should set up the tank pronto & start fishless cycling. <You should start the cycling ASAP in any case since it takes so long! :) >

Edit - didn't read the rest of the pages!! How did you cycle the tank? Looking at the dates of the posts, i don't think the tank is cycled - even if the TLC is a bacterial culture, it still takes a while to get to 15 of nitrates. Perhaps you have nitrates in your tap? Should do a baseline test on your tap water in any case jsut to know what you are working with.

Last edited:
Cycling

I used the TLC provided by the guy at Pet Station here in MI and tested waters 3 days later. Everything was fine so I have added fish ( 2 Albino Oscars, 2 Tiger Oscars and 4 Red Oscars). All of the fish took really quick to tank. I dont have a lot as far as decorations inside but they seem to be enjoying themselves ...or maybe its just me enjoying them...lol. I am looking into getting a 120g tank guy was selling for $150 but have not heard back from him someone must have snatched that 1 up but i will keep looking.

if you can, next time you go to the lfs, ask them what the tlc is... id like to know. You could probably get away with two pairs of oscars in a 120g tank, a 6' tank would be better so they can have more territory to claim their own. Just remember to keep up on the pwc's and make sure you have adequate filtration, oscars are super messy fish

I actually saw a LFS here in Green Bay giving out some of that TLC. Basically it is bacteria water from their tanks/filters. Interesting idea but I'd like to see it in full swing whether it fully take hold in the tank or not.

Bamm, so you have a 55 gallon tank right now with 8 Oscars? Just so you realize, it is usually recommended to have 1 - 2 oscars in a 75 gallon. So if you look at it that way, you should need 4 - 75 gallons at a minimum and probably bigger if you want all of those oscars to thrive and reach maximum length. I currently have two Oscars in a 75 gallon but they are still only 3 inches and should grow quite healthy within the next year where I will upgrade my tank to a minimum of 120 and probably more like 180. Just an FYI. If you can, you might want to return a few of them. JMO though.

Welcome to the world of Oscars. They are great.

Back
Top Bottom