normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay sooooo..i thought i'd see what others thoughts were on this..as i've never seen this before lol..mind you my tank is tube like..and round..i had an issue with my guppies earlier...ever since turning up the heat..theyve finally started swimming around..although some of their tails are still clamped..but my thing is..their literally swimming in a circle around the tank..all of them..its like a nascar race or something...i've never seen them do this..and not for this long..any ideas? okay?

okay sooooo..i thought i'd see what others thoughts were on this..as i've never seen this before lol..mind you my tank is tube like..and round..i had an issue with my guppies earlier...ever since turning up the heat..theyve finally started swimming around..although some of their tails are still clamped..but my thing is..their literally swimming in a circle around the tank..all of them..its like a nascar race or something...i've never seen them do this..and not for this long..any ideas? okay?

How much did you raise to heat at once? What does you thermometer (not the heater) read for temp right now? Generally I think 1 degree every 12-24hrs is the rule of thumb.

by maybe 2 degrees..my thermometer is at 74...this morning it was maybe 71 72..i've got the heater past 80...not sure what the issue is...i just bought it..and its up to 20 gallons..and theres only 9 in the tank...

i had prior issues so anything that made them better was better that waiting..cause i lost one in this process...although not sure what the race is about..and their tails are still not as fanned out..i'm thinking of taking the heater back..its past the 80's and says 74

throughout the day (except for the portion i was gone..i've been trying to raise it..but the therm wasnt budging..till i really cranked it up..thats been the only difference i've seen in change of temp

by maybe 2 degrees..my thermometer is at 74...this morning it was maybe 71 72..i've got the heater past 80...not sure what the issue is...i just bought it..and its up to 20 gallons..and theres only 9 in the tank...

i had prior issues so anything that made them better was better that waiting..cause i lost one in this process...although not sure what the race is about..and their tails are still not as fanned out..i'm thinking of taking the heater back..its past the 80's and says 74

Sounds like your heater maybe malfunctioning if it's set to 80 and your thermometer is only reading 74.

Where is your heater located in the tank and do you have a in-tank thermometer or a stick on? I like to keep my heater next to the filter output (HOB or canister) so the warmed water is better circulated throughout the tank. I keep my floating thermometer at the far end of the tank as the heater so I get a better sense of the overall water temp.

If you have an in tank thermometer, I'd suggest putting next to the heater for 5 minutes and see what it reads. It should show what the heater is warming the surrounding water to.

thats what i'm thinking..its actually past the 80s...lol my tank is submersible..its towards the back..the filter is in the center..i have a biube..first time owner and after tonight i want to throw it against the wall :O) lol

thats what i'm thinking..its actually past the 80s...lol my tank is submersible..its towards the back..the filter is in the center..i have a biube..first time owner and after tonight i want to throw it against the wall :O) lol

I think guppies like temps in the high 70's so that could be the circling issue, my only concern would be if the heater decides to work properly and the temp shot up (even over a few hours) in the high 80's:eek:.

My grandmother and I raised guppies a few years back. .our tanks were always at 78 up 80..80 is where I always kept it

my grandmother and i use to raise and breed guppies a few years back...we always kept our tanks between 78-80..i always set mine to 80

sorry i didnt see the "high" in your post..yes thats where i'm trying to get it up too...my other heater was automatically set to 78..but i'm not sure it was doing its job..but they didnt act up..they were fine..it wasnt until i replaced the heater and got a thermometer that they were acting strange...then the heat has gone up their swimming around still clamped tails..just swimming in a constant circle around the tank..

thinking about that sounds real odd..to question why a fish is going in circles...lol

my grandmother and i use to raise and breed guppies a few years back...we always kept our tanks between 78-80..i always set mine to 80

That's what I was thinking temp wise (78), but like you said with the style of tank maybe circulation isn't that great. I'm guessing the filter is in that center tube thingy? Interesting setup. Are the guppies going around the tube or just beside it?

doing a little research, clamped fins could be a sign of being chilled, so maybe they're trying to run (well swim) in circles to warm up lol.

Just a though but maybe get a small powerhead to help improve circulation. If the water isn't moving well around the heater, you could be ending up with hot/cold spots which is hard on most any fish.

Circulation is great..I had worried it was to much in the beginning...they were going around the tank like in a big circle around the center tube...

Yeah my first time with this tank so it's all new to me..since turning off the light they've stopped going in circles..but I really wish their fins weren't clamped still...

I will probably take my third trip to pets mart this week to get another heater...I've never had a problem with a heater..you set it and that was it

giggalz said:
Circulation is great..I had worried it was to much in the beginning...they were going around the tank like in a big circle around the center tube...

Yeah my first time with this tank so it's all new to me..since turning off the light they've stopped going in circles..but I really wish their fins weren't clamped still...

I will probably take my third trip to pets mart this week to get another heater...I've never had a problem with a heater..you set it and that was it

Yep, all my tanks have the Aqueon Pro series of heaters and I love em.

I hope they get better :D.

I've had the thermometer at the far end of the tank from the heater..then stuck it next to it..same reading

Ha that's what this heater is....haven't had a tank this small and those tanks my sister has in her room I wanted something that didn't look so bulky in this particular tank beings it's suppose to be stylish

giggalz said:
I've had the thermometer at the far end of the tank from the heater..then stuck it next to it..same reading

I'd suggest setting the heater to 80 for the night in case it decides to warm up to the proper temp at 3AM. Better a bit chilled than cooked IMO.

I can't remember where guppies come from but I know that any river fish or most that live with a current in nature tend to swim against the current because it's bred into em to go upriver, if they swim with current they lose ground and wear them out trying to get back to where they were, it's the reason why sometimes all fish are pointed in on direction, seen it in everything from tetra to goldfish, could be reason why guppies play the up and down game with the outlets on filters and airstones too, and it's why you always cast down stream in and pull against current in a creek to catch trout they won't follow the bait downstream cuz there "lazy" lol, if your ever at a fishfarm with circular tanks you'll know what I mean, that could be one reason for some of there actions hope that helps

giggalz said:
Ha that's what this heater is....haven't had a tank this small and those tanks my sister has in her room I wanted something that didn't look so bulky in this particular tank beings it's suppose to be stylish

That too bad, because mine are right on the money where I set them. I liked the stylish look too, plus it has actual numbers and not the +/- that some do. Best of all it's not a glass tube that can explode lol.

How many gallons and what wattage heater?

Back
Top Bottom