Not quite so heavy duty tank cabinet build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got bored so I put in two of those cable/hose ports on the top like I had on the other cabinet and a port on the lower back for power cord to get to a power strip on the inside. I'm feeling the need to go build and install a set of shelves somewhere in the house.

Got bored so I put in two of those cable/hose ports on the top like I had on the other cabinet and a port on the lower back for power cord to get to a power strip on the inside. I'm feeling the need to go build and install a set of shelves somewhere in the house.

You can always build me a cabinet LOL :)

You know, I just went to UPS and did a quick check on the shipping cost and assuming the cabinet weighs about 100 lbs the shipping would only be about $90 from here to your zip code.

I need to check this out because I had assumed the shipping cost would be insane.

Well I couldn't let it go. Back to the lumber yard. Picked up another 2x2x8 to further reenforce this stand, think I'm going with a 90 gallon next time. Also picked up most of what I need to build a nice set of shelves in the fish room a.k.a. the dinning room.

Well I couldn't let it go. Back to the lumber yard. Picked up another 2x2x8 to further reenforce this stand, think I'm going with a 90 gallon next time. Also picked up most of what I need to build a nice set of shelves in the fish room a.k.a. the dinning room.

Tapping feet, patiently waiting:hide:

Wow this polyshades antique walnut stain is VERY pretty on white pine. But, it is a total pain in the butt to work with, you have to go very fast and can't stop because the polyurethane in it drys super fast and tends to glob up. Got most of the parts for the new shelves cut, sanded and stained.

i absolutely hate polyshades i recommend against it to all my customers for just that reason oil based stains is the only way to go quality wise with a poly coat over top

Yeah now that I've used this I know I'll never do it again. WAY too difficult to work with. Why weren't you at the store telling me not to buy it, lol.

Ryan, it recommends two coats but I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of dealing with it for a second coat. What do you think? Maybe just a coat of clear poly?

zparticle said:
Ryan, it recommends two coats but I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of dealing with it for a second coat. What do you think? Maybe just a coat of clear poly?

Lol if you are satisfied with the color then yes one coat is fine and move on to the poly

What was wrong with the chip board shelves lol joke the unit looks great good job

I'll tell you what put those up years ago thinking I'd just replace them in a month or two, 5-6 years later they are finally gone. Thanks, I'm pretty proud of this build, was a heck of a lot of work though.

zparticle said:
I'll tell you what put those up years ago thinking I'd just replace them in a month or two, 5-6 years later they are finally gone. Thanks, I'm pretty proud of this build, was a heck of a lot of work though.

Don't you find you have a lot more pride in your furniture now then assembling flat pack stuff?

Back
Top Bottom