Octopus Released w/pics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope I havent offended anyone with this thread. I'm just a newbie looking for advice, Thanks guys.

You have not offended me, and if someone did get offended then they need to quit posting on this board because varying views about different subjects are what makes this community great, and helps us learn.

You are right on track with posting here, and for that you get kudos from me. :wink:

As far as the octo goes. I have been reading alot lately, and they can make a great pet, and you can have alot of interaction with them. The only problem with them is as mentioned above. They will die after they spawn,and protect their young. Unless your up for a heartbreak then I would'nt try it.

Good Luck In Whatever You Decide! :wink:

The first thing that strikes me is the legality of collecting wildlife off the coasts of Hawaii. Have you checked with the local evironmental agencies to be sure you're not breaking the law?

Thats a very good question. There is a law on certain fish and what season to catch them. You need a fish collecting permit which costs $50. It really depends on the type of fish you catch. There's a catch and release law for some of these fish. As far as the Octopus, as long as it's over a 1/2lb. They local game Wardens don't usually enforce some of the laws due to the fact that it is a food source for allot of the people here in Hawaii including myself. I don't wanna get native on this subject but rest assured that I don't eat my pets. :wink:

Let me clear in saying that I am in no way offened by this thread. I am also not against anyone trying to keep an octopus. I am not faulting Kalani for asking great questions. That is, indeed what this forum is for. I am, however, questioning the order of things. As I posted previously, it is best to do the research before adding new additions. I still feel the octo should be released and a new one aquired once proper education and housing are met.

Thanks lando. I truely understand where you are coming from. The last 2 days I have been doing some serious research and the upkeep of these creatures. I have visited a website call www.octopets.com . They sell tank raised octopuses and are great in captivity. If I think the octopus will be in jeopardy, I will take him back to the same place I got him from this weekend. It's pretty far from where I live. He's doing great and I think he loves his new home. Eats everything I give him.

I had one octopus once.
escaped 5 times in diferent seasons

then i didnt knew about natural enemisty with moray and lobsters

equation went as follows:

Octopus
+
Moray
+
Mantis

And the new Champeennnnnnnnn!!!

OCTOPUS

i gave it to the Largest Aquarium in town and seems it went fine

if you can enjoy it a few weeks (without endangering it) then give it to a University or aquarium or back to da C.

kalani said:
He's doing great and I think he loves his new home. Eats everything I give him.

I'm glad Henry (haha) is doing ok so far. And in response to Atari quoting my post - I did not mean this as it may have sounded. I just don't think that anyone should get a creature for their tank with the attitude of "Oh well if it dies." But, kalani seems to be taking good care of Henry - I truly hope he does well in your tank!

wow he cool !! ive always wanted one just need another tank lolol

got to ask how did ya catch him by the way !! ive tried catching fish and spent 10 min on just one fish :) it hard !!

I used a thin long aluminum rod. First you find the hole and try to sorta tickle the hole until it's legs come out. Naturally he will wrap his arms around it and you can grab it with your hands.

sweet i would have thought they would be way smarter than that !! did he ink when ya touched him ?

You'll love him! My ex, had an Octo (Named him Doc Ock) for just over a year. About the next February, she laid her eggs and sadly passed away. You will form a huge bond with him/her and it will be one of the best pets you'll ever have. Don't let the short lifespan chase you away. If you have the space for it, keep it!

Look pretty healthy, too!

Thanks bmb.

sweet i would have thought they would be way smarter than that !! did he ink when ya touched him ?

I guess they like to interact. Thats how we normally catch the octopus with a sling spear. He did ink alot when I pulled it out of his/her hole. It's a weird feeling trying to hold a octopus. It takes time to get used to the feeling. The night octopus you need to watch out for. They will bite you and leave a hole in ur skin. Lucky we dont have the blue ring octo here in Hawaii. 8O

Back
Top Bottom