Octopus Released w/pics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nice oct you have there, i wish i could buy one too but my tank is too small, btw does anyone know how to keep jelly fish or are keeping jelly fish?

I really have no experience with jellies - but that being said....

I live in New England ( about 1.5 hours from Boston). A number of years ago ( about 9 years) I went to the New England aquarium to view their new Jellyfish display. All of the folks there were in an absolute tizzy about their jellies. At the time they really did not know if the exhibit was going to be permanent or not as the little guys are so dilicate and hard to keep. Thery were really excited that they had finally stabilized a " nursery" and were raising some babies. At the time they were experimenting with some new technology to keep them alive.

I went back a few weeks ago and there jelly exhibit is still there. Judging from the number of people tending to the tanks ...I would guess that it is a not so easy task.

Great exhibit - thrilling to see - I highly recommend it to any traveling through the area.

Hmm...

Come to think of it - all of the jellyfish aquariums at N.E.Aquarium were round.

There is a place local to me that distributes cold water Jelly fish.. They are very Interesting.. Their entire system is All cold water 59F.. They have an Octo, Wolf Eel, a bunch of cold water fish and 4 tumblers of Jellies... Couple hundred... If was very interesting..

James

Sorry to change the subject back, but hows the octo coming? still doing well i hope.

The octo is doing great! I feed him a medium size crab every morning. So far he's getting used to it and seems to come out more often during feeding time. When I come home from work I pretty much clean up they leftover shells he leaves behind. It's a little more maintenance than my fish tank but well worth it. :D

I didnt read all 5 pages, so forgive me if someone has suggested this already, but I have heard that they dont like the feeling of plastic astro turf. the really prickly stuff. I was told that you can glue it around the top of the tank and it will discourage their Houdinie act.

lol :D . I dunno what would keep him from climbing out. So far he crawls pretty far up the tank but I keep my water levels at least an inch from full. I don't think he likes the fact that he's clibing into air though I may be wrong. He hasn't attempted to make an escape yet. Well at least when i'm awake. :D

air will not bother them !! i seen a show were they were missing fish and didnt know why so they set up a camera and seen the octo climb out of the tank go to the next tank climb in catch the fish and then go back home :) they are very very smart so dont under estimate them at all !!

what i thought as well ! it was on discovery channel pretty cool to watch !they first thought a employee was stealing fish heheheh

what kind of temp. do you have to keep your oct. looks really cool and how often you have to maintain the tank etc.

Scuba_Steve
air will not bother them !! i seen a show were they were missing fish and didnt know why so they set up a camera and seen the octo climb out of the tank go to the next tank climb in catch the fish and then go back home they are very very smart so dont under estimate them at all !!
I saw that show too. Amazing!! I was hoping they would show a mimic-octo though...Those are some smart invertabrates!

scuba_steve said:
they first thought a employee was stealing fish heheheh

I bet the octopus was hoping thats what they'd think! Buy a little time for one more snack :wink:

Back
Top Bottom