Official 75g mbuna build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like 2 person job w pillow case! I feel u on your wife making you wait. Keep her happy. Yen minutes ago mine told me she hates my obsession, its not a hobby she said. I do all my maintenance when she works Saturdays so she doesn't even see that but she has a point. Every minute we are on the couch at night in always researching stuff as I'm never satisfied! And I look right past her to watch the big tank! I'm gonna work on it! Lol

Wow you sound just like me accept my wife says I'm a nerd Haha! If you only saw me and could honestly say I'm a nerd you would laugh yourself! I love her though and she knows it

You have to wait 2 weeks, i have to wait longer ahhhh its killing me too lool

Well, maybe 1 month or 2 :( AHHH! lol im currently waiting for parts for my sump, and then i need to order my return pump, leak test the tank and then cycle.

I dislike waiting very much lol Hows everything with you dude? Have you decided on all your equipment?

I dislike waiting very much lol Hows everything with you dude? Have you decided on all your equipment?

For the most part yes, I'm gonna use the aqueon quietflow 50/75 filter for now and then later get the AC110s so I have backups and I'm going with a jager heater and koralia nano 425 for circulation!

Well I cleaned the sand today and added it all to the tank. It was about 1/2" over the trim so that's good for me. I think I talked my wife into getting me some.of the equimpent today and ordering the rest too!!! So it looks like my cycle will begin today and ill be using a little bag of seeded bio-media that's been running for 6 months so It may be a fast cycle!

Okay so I wanna do a few bigger ones as well, what else could I have?

I'm gonna get 1 male 3 females of these 3 types so far

Tropheus sp. Elongatus broadzulu
Labidochromis caeruleus lions cove
Iodotropeus sprengerae

Lots get bigger but not more than 7". Pseudo acei have a great personality and are beautiful blue.
Especially the white tail which I want! I have yellow tail. Link below to check some out. I'm sure Dave has most or these. Look at the labeotropheus profiles. They get bigger but are tough guys IMO! There's always the colorful metriaclima estherae that come In white, blue, orange, and OB. Stay away from bumblebee and kenyi.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2.

Other option I me ruined I PM is to do peacocks but I wouldn't really mix them. You could do the smaller mbuna tho and add a handful of bigger peacock. Or go all male peacock. Most recommend to go one route or other but they can coexist. In pm I sent details about all male peacock tank. Feel free to pm me w ?'s and I will gladly offer opinions.

I found these that I like

Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Chilumba"
Metriaclima estherae (Red)

Plus these that I'm already getting.

Iodotropeus sprengerae

How would these work out? If that works out I wanna remove the Iodotropheus sprengerae and add cynotilopia afra lions cove

I found these that I like

Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Chilumba"
Metriaclima estherae (Red)

Plus these that I'm already getting.

Iodotropeus sprengerae

How would these work out? If that works out I wanna remove the Iodotropheus sprengerae and add cynotilopia afra lions cove

My concern would be the perlmutt could be a good mix w your other stock but those zebras look mean. Neve had them so I can't say but profile says highly aggressive. With that temperament and their additional size it COULD BE bad. The others you chose are more mild and smaller. If you like the blue black maybe go witha group of demasoni? Mean buggers but its usually conspecific so if you'd do like 7 or 9 of them that would be cool. They say 4 inch but I have never seen them that big. If you want size you could do cobalt or orange zebras or the labeo trewavasae group. Although they're quite mean too. If you want size and less anger acei are the way to go IMO. Or you could do some peacock males with the less temperamental mbuna you have already chosen. I know I'm not helping sorry!

My concern would be the perlmutt could be a good mix w your other stock but those zebras look mean. Neve had them so I can't say but profile says highly aggressive. With that temperament and their additional size it COULD BE bad. The others you chose are more mild and smaller. If you like the blue black maybe go witha group of demasoni? Mean buggers but its usually conspecific so if you'd do like 7 or 9 of them that would be cool. They say 4 inch but I have never seen them that big. If you want size you could do cobalt or orange zebras or the labeo trewavasae group. Although they're quite mean too. If you want size and less anger acei are the way to go IMO. Or you could do some peacock males with the less temperamental mbuna you have already chosen. I know I'm not helping sorry!

Haha you actually are helping ALOT! Maybe ill talk my wife into a 125g and I can do perlmutts. I love how they look! I forgot to check out acei and yes those zebras look super awesome! I HAVE to have them!

Edit* I took a look at Pseudotropheus demasoni (Pombo Rocks) and love it!! I could switch this one with the perlmutt

Haha you actually are helping ALOT! Maybe ill talk my wife into a 125g and I can do perlmutts. I love how they look! I forgot to check out acei and yes those zebras look super awesome! I HAVE to have them!

Edit* I took a look at Pseudotropheus demasoni (Pombo Rocks) and love it!! I could switch this one with the perlmutt

Glad to help. You can do perlmutt and demasoni in the 75 BUT I'd say skip the zebra. Or get a 125 and have all your dreams come true! Wish I could but my tanks in second floor above garage! I'm scared with a 90 and rock weight above it!

Glad to help. You can do perlmutt and demasoni in the 75 BUT I'd say skip the zebra. Or get a 125 and have all your dreams come true! Wish I could but my tanks in second floor above garage! I'm scared with a 90 and rock weight above it!

Awesome so no zebra. There is no way id get a 125 Haha that's too much tank for me

So this will be the stock list then!

Metriaclima estherae (red)
Iodotropeus sprengerae
cynotilopia afra lions cove

*edit* could I get any bottom feeders of some sort?

Do yall think the koralia evolution 1150 will be too much flow for this tank?

I would say yes. I'd do two smaller ones one at each end. I'm still experimenting w mine. I have multiple types and sizes and can't get it right. My Maxijet 400 which does 500 gph is too strong. Koralia is supp to have more wide and gentle flow rather than 1 small strong current. I'm going to go to two of the 600 in my tank I think

I would say yes. I'd do two smaller ones one at each end. I'm still experimenting w mine. I have multiple types and sizes and can't get it right. My Maxijet 400 which does 500 gph is too strong. Koralia is supp to have more wide and gentle flow rather than 1 small strong current. I'm going to go to two of the 600 in my tank I think

Awesome thanks bro, I picked up my filters and new test kit 10minutes ago. I'm gonna set them up soon as I get home.

How's my stock list looking?

Back
Top Bottom