One of my fish acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chloelaura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two regular goldfish and two black moor fish and recently I've noticed that one of my black moors has been acting quite strange. This really is rather vague as literally in the past two days I've noticed a change in behaviour, such as sitting at the top corner of the tank or lingering at the bottom next to their artificial plant but generally just staying clear of the others which he's never done before, they usually stick together and play etc.

I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but obviously I'm familiar with how they usually act and despite it being very vague I have noticed it so I'm wondering wether I should maybe place him in a separate tank and monitor his behaviour or?

I noticed also that his poo has been sticking quite longer to him than what it usually does. This might sound silly but again it's something I've picked up on so perhaps it's bowel movement issues? Help!!

15 gal tank and I feel like my fish are outgrowing this already as they were tiny when I bought them, but because of that I do a 25% water change roughly every two days just to keep on top of ammonia etc which usually are fine as I have the API test kit and make checks at least once a week

How long have you had these fish? You need to be doing 60% wc every 4 days with those fish in that tiny tank, they're probably stunted, this would explain them acting strange, they could be slowly dying....

Last edited:
I started off exactly as you did - four tiny fancy goldfish in a 15 gallon tank.

They started acting up as they grew - Spotty got very territorial, for instance.

It is time to move them to a bigger tank - a 40 gallon could be used in the interim, with a 55-60 gallon coming later.

I hope this helps, and good luck :)

Roz, yesterday, I read a post from some guy in Australia that possibly will have extra tanks. I'll see if I can find the post. He was buying 3 big ones and wanted an opinion if he should do it. I'll edit if I can find that post.

I found it: Darylb is in Western Australia. He mentioned in the post he was scrapping his 55 gal. Try messaging him and maybe get a good deal.

I got an offer to buy a 180 100 and 60 gal tanks today for $120 the only problem is I got 2 tanks set up inside 2 outside being leak tested that I built and if I get these ill have 3 more I love with my girlfriends mum so ill have to put it past her I was thinking of scrapping my 55 and new 20 gal and running the 180 with the 100 as a sump hopefully they will agree on this as I will only have one tank then :) what would you do?

Back
Top Bottom