Oscar tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skorpio94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey
I currently have an oscar and a blue cobalt cichlid I think it's called, was just wondering what other fish could go with oscars as I know they are very picky about who their tankmates are. Any help would be great as I've been told by my LFS that not many types of fish can go with them.
thanks

5ft x 18 x 18 so it's around the 70/80 gallon range with an eheim external canister filter and an internal filter aswell.. I was told the oscar and the blue cobalt don't usually get on as a species but for some reason these 2 did, so I tried it and they have been just fine together, might be worth keeping them on their own as they are doing well just as they are

Hey! I've had Oscar's for about 4 or 5 years now. I've kept a few different fish with my Oscar's. I've had success with the following tankmates:
Jack Dempseys
Silver dollars
Jewel cichlids

I've heard that bichirs can go with Oscar's so long as they're big enough
I once had a flowerhorn cichlid in with my oscar and it was a TERRIBLE choice.
I currently have two tiger Oscar's in my 75 gallon and they're doing just great!
I hope this helps!

I really like the look of Dempseys but my LFS only gets those in as juveniles so it won't be the same size as my oscar (currently about 5 or 6 inches) i may have to ask around and see if I can get hold of an adult one! ?
Thanks!

I really like the look of Dempseys but my LFS only gets those in as juveniles so it won't be the same size as my oscar (currently about 5 or 6 inches) i may have to ask around and see if I can get hold of an adult one! [emoji16]
Thanks!
Yea I decided my Oscar's also needed a new tankmate lately and I put in a gold severum. She's a pretty pink pearl color and she's seems to be doing great in the tank with them

Yea I decided my Oscar's also needed a new tankmate lately and I put in a gold severum. She's a pretty pink pearl color and she's seems to be doing great in the tank with them
I have also looked into arowana (will hopefully get one one day), but the size they get, they will need a crazy big tank lol am going to look into upgrading my tank size when I get back from holiday in the next few weeks.. have also started seeing some aggression with my two fish as they are getting bigger so may have to rehome the blue cobalt after all :/

I don't have any personal experience but have heard of success with convicts (that are big enough not to get eaten, they can hold their own) and firemouth cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom