Oto cat species id?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had these guys well over 2 months. And I just noticed the coloration and pattern on one if them is totally different!

Attachments

• image-1251791597.jpg
    image-1251791597.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 92
That looks like a typical oto to me. The ones I have look like that and most I have seen do as well.

Here's a picture (not my pic, just found it for reference)

otocinclus_arnoldi2.jpg

That looks like a typical oto to me. The ones I have look like that and most I have seen do as well. Here's a picture (not my pic, just found it for reference)
one is almost golden. And the other is silver. Maybe a discoloration?

one is almost golden. And the other is silver. Maybe a discoloration?

Possibly. Color patterns do vary a bit from fish to fish. It could also be based on their mood (sometimes fish lose a bit of color if stressed).

There are many types of oto's in the Otocinclus genus. Here are a few... The genus Otocinclus.

Then you have many others in different genus like the Giant Oto, Hypoptopma gulare, the Vampire Oto, Nannoptopoma sp, the Peru Bumble Bee Oto, Paraotocinclus, and many others.

Those are Ottocinclus affinis, the most commonly available (in the UK at least). They are normally known as Dwarf ottocinclus

Back
Top Bottom