Overfeeders Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamelarowley57

Aquarium Advice Regular
I admit I have probably been feeding my fish way too much for a while now. They used to be in little bitty tanks and so I could control my urge a little more. In a small tank the amount of food looks huge and they can find it easily....now in a big tank the same amount doesn't look so big and I worry they won't find it...etc.

It's silly and I need to adjust my feeding schedule a bit I admit. But I just love watching them stuff their little mouths....

What type of feeding schedule do you all have and what amount?

I feed once a day, 4 days a week. During the non days, I see scavenging the bottom for scraps.

I feed every other day (mon-wed-fri-sun) with the exception of Sunday and Monday.

I feed small amount of flakes 1-2 times a day and pellets every other day! Probably an over feeder too!!

I feed in the morning Monday through Thursday. I would feed every other day, but I'm not at my apartment on the weekends. Also, it gets my rainbowfish to eat back my plants.

I use to have a feeding schedule but got lazy. I feed randomly 3-6 times a week once or twice a day. Peas at least once a week and frozen blood worms or brine shrimp once or twice a week.

OH WOW! Thanks everyone for all your input!

I feed 2x a day right now...and much more than they can consume in a few seconds.....(guilt stricken face.) Shrimp pellets for my dinosaur eel, algae tabs for my cat and flakes for my glo-fish (which they all graze on.)

I had no idea how bad my addiction was...heh heh

After getting a reality check I promise to feed only once a day! It will help my tank cleaning schedule too.

I started this thread specifically because the instuctions on the fish food said 3x a day. I knew I was feeding them too much at 2x a day, but wasn't really sure what was right...like any new mom I'm afraid I'm going to starve my babies...lol!

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
I have some small fish (neon tetras, zebra danios, white cloud minnows) so I feed twice a day. My bacteria colony has adjusted to it so my water parameters are still NH3@0ppm NO2@0ppm.

I feed my fish small amounts twice a day (morning/evening), every day, and they tear it up.

I do see food fall to the bottom and I've watched them scavenge it from the gravel and clean it from the slate.

I would be interested to learn, from the experts, the benefits to the fish of skipping a day or two during the week.

once a day, but i have to feed enough food so it can get passed the danios and the betta to my cories cause there is a lot of them. and they gotta eat too!

Try wetting the food in a different container prior to feeding. Then just sprinkle a little bit on the top for the danios and Betta at one end then once they are all actively feeding than put in the wet food which will sink faster at the other end.

BHead707 said:
once a day, but i have to feed enough food so it can get passed the danios and the betta to my cories cause there is a lot of them. and they gotta eat too!

I do this too. I have to 'over feed' one of my tanks so the cories, bristlenoses and mystery snails get enough.

I have noticed that a great deal gets sucked up into the filter before the fish get to it. I really like feeding the algae tabs and shrimp pellets because they seem to get eaten rather quickly and usually in one bite keeping things clean. I am hoping to put my glo fish and molly in my other tank and get rid of feeding flake food all together.

I saw some frozen bloodworms (my eel loves the dried ones) and wondered what using them would be like???

I feed my fish small portions of a variety of food ( NLS pellets, brine shrimp, beef heart hikari pellets, blood worms, freshwater frenzy. Mosquito larvae, and a variety of vegetables) depending on the day of the week twice a day 6 days a week. Usually I feed morning and then before bed but I guess since I feed small portions I don't feel that I'm over feeding and within minutes after feeding I never see any uneaten food at the bottom, I have some kind of scavenger fish in every one of my tanks and they see to it that there's never any leftovers. I've never had a problem with population explosions or plan aria (white worms) so I'm pretty positive I'm not over feeding. I also feed shelled peas once or twice a week to prevent any bloat. :)

Back
Top Bottom