Peaceful community cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any suggestions for peaceful cichlids ?? I already have rams, firemouth, and a kribensis in my tank. All are very peaceful and mind their own business. Was wondering if anyone else knows a type that get along in a community tank

Dozens really, what size tank, full stock list, tank pic, and what are you interested in exactly

Dozens really, what size tank, full stock list, tank pic, and what are you interested in exactly

Well besides those three I just mentioned I have 2 angels, cories, lemon tetras, female bettas, neon tetras, and 2 platties. I really like the look of peacocks... I want anything with color. It's a 75 gallon with some caves and hiding spots

Attachments

• image-366411306.jpg
    image-366411306.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 127
A peacock would kill everything. Really the only peaceful ones I would put in there are apistos or rams.

I wouldn't add any more dwarf cichlids. The bottom of your tank is already filled up and territories have been established. When breeding time comes for the kribs you may have some aggression issues. If I were you I would focus on more mid and top dwelling fish.

Unless I misread and they are single specimens of each type of fish. Then you may be able to add more. Really nice looking tank as is IMO

I wouldn't add any more dwarf cichlids. The bottom of your tank is already filled up and territories have been established. When breeding time comes for the kribs you may have some aggression issues. If I were you I would focus on more mid and top dwelling fish. Unless I misread and they are single specimens of each type of fish. Then you may be able to add more. Really nice looking tank as is IMO

Thanks! And yes I only have one krib and one firemouth. I have 3 rams.

I'm confused can you list out the full stock you have in this tank?

Okay here is my current stock:

2 angels
1 firemouth
1 krib
3 rams
2 Platy
5 lemon tetras
10 neons
Shoal of cories
2 female betta

I was wondering if there are any more cichlids that will work. So far all my fish get along fine. I just want something different and unique, that's why I like to add cichlids if I can. It's a 75 gallon tank.

I wouldn't add more cichlids. I would add some more lemon tetras like 5 more a bristlenose pleco and add 1 more school of fish like maybe 8 harlequin rasboras.

Well I has more lemons but some passed... The ones I have left are pretty fiesty towards each other.. And I would add a pleco but I don't have any driftwood :/

Oh. Well I really wouldn't add more cichlids there is a lot already and there really isn't more room to set up territory's.

Oh. Well I really wouldn't add more cichlids there is a lot already and there really isn't more room to set up territory's.
Not all cichlids require territories...cleithracara maronii is one of the most peaceful fish you can own, and males will coexist fantastically. They are one of my favorite cichlids and could easily reccomend a pair for a tank like this. They compliment angels very well. They are also quite calm when spawning even. They are keyhole cichlids, for those not familiar with Latin names

I notice your fish aren't fully grown. Once they are- the cichlids particularly, that tank will be fairly tight. Not as tight as, say, a Mbuna tank would be, but this sort of tank isn't supposed to be packed tight.

Having said that, if you are hellbent on more cichlids, I agree with the above suggestion of Keyholes. They are very peaceful.

It has nothing to do with being "hellbent" on more cichlids. Let's break this down a bit, shall we?

Phterophyllum scalare (angelfish)-6" (and top-mid level swimmer)
Thorichthys meeki (firemouth)-6"
Pelvicachromis pulcher (Kribensis)-3" depending on sex
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (blue ram, didn't specify so I'll assume)-2"

After that, the betta are rather small, neons and lemons are all about an inch, and most cory species stay under 2. This means a light bioload.

A mbuna tank in a 55 GALLON is generally stocked 10-12 mbuna around the 6" mark. So enlighten me on how this tank is already jammed full because I'm not seeing it. Is it well stocked? Yes. Can it accommodate another pair of cichlids, like maronii? Easily. Keep up on your weekly water changes and it will be no problem.

It has nothing to do with being "hellbent" on more cichlids. Let's break this down a bit, shall we? Phterophyllum scalare (angelfish)-6" (and top-mid level swimmer) Thorichthys meeki (firemouth)-6" Pelvicachromis pulcher (Kribensis)-3" depending on sex Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (blue ram, didn't specify so I'll assume)-2" After that, the betta are rather small, neons and lemons are all about an inch, and most cory species stay under 2. This means a light bioload. A mbuna tank in a 55 GALLON is generally stocked 10-12 mbuna around the 6" mark. So enlighten me on how this tank is already jammed full because I'm not seeing it. Is it well stocked? Yes. Can it accommodate another pair of cichlids, like maronii? Easily. Keep up on your weekly water changes and it will be no problem.

Thank you for the support! Trust me I would never harm my fish, and my angels are actually almost full grown. So is my krib. My firemouth is still a baby though. I will ask the local fish store about some keyholes. I appreciate it!

I've kept them, but always end up getting rid of them. I don't know why, but I'm not a huge fan of them, they can be pretty feisty at times, and are known to take bites out of live plants too

Back
Top Bottom