Peat moss or peat pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi this is my first thread yay!! :fish2:

My problem is that my aquarium pH is too high (like off the scale kind of high) and I really want to keep blackwater fish like cardinal tetras and stuff like that, so I want to use peat to put in my filter in order to lower the pH of my water to around 6.8. However, I'm not sure which kind of peat to use: peat moss or peat pellets? Which is cheaper and long term? There's this peat moss product on Amazon which is organic and it's £6.75 for 10 litres and I think it would be most beneficial for my 24 gallon tank.

So which one do you recommend?
How much should I put in the filter?
How to prepare it, like rinse it or boil it or something?
How often to replace?

Also, is there any way to remove the tannins while still letting the peat lower the pH?

Thanks!
Nicki Gaga <3

If your pH is "off the charts high", then it's unlikely that peat moss is going to make a significant difference.

Also, most fish are able to adapt to water that is different than the water if their native habitat, so making large adjustments shouldn't be required. My tap water's pH is in the 8.4 - 8.6 range and my fish (and plants) are fine.
I think most folks on this forum will say the same.

However, if you're dead set on attempting to lower your pH, then we'd need to know what the pH is (an actual number) and what the General Hardness is as well. The higher the GH the more difficult it is to lower the pH without resorting to using RO/DI methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom