Ph Help,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snorkleboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone I just got my tank back going again (through water changes with no fish) for about 2 weeks now, I have a constant and very high Ph right around 7.6 I have no fish in there only a few Bulbs I'm attempting to grow, gravel a moss ball and a rock. Does anyone have any advice on how to lower the Ph down to a reasonable level before I buy fish?

Thanks!

7.6 is okay. Unless you're trying to keep really sensitive fish or you're trying to breed fish that require a lower ph to get them to spawn. What's important about ph is to keep it stable and not mess with it unless you really have to.

When I first started out again in fish keeping, I was at the point you are at now... I've learned from the knowledgeable folks here that it's best to forget about ph and to (especially) not lower it by liquid means such as API pH down. Anyway, read this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/help-with-lowering-ph-levels-advice-please-125996.html

What are you planning to stock?

Oh thanks very much, I was planning on getting mostly just mollies guppies and maybe a snail or two, but I do hear that they eat plants..

Well in that case, just leave your pH alone and just keep your water in good shape by weekly partial water changes and by using a good water conditioner. The best stuff is Seachem Prime but Tetra Aquasafe is good too (at a lower price point).

I think you can get Apple Snails, they don't eat your plants. Or a bunch of small Malaysian Trumpet Snails... they don't eat plants either.

Yes, 7.6 is fine. My aquarium is at 7.8 as that's what my tap water is. If your tap water is 7.6 then you should leave it alone otherwise you will have problems every time you do a water change. Like Brian said, pH stability is whats most important and you can insure this with a constant source like tap water.

A pH of 7.6 is not "very high" ;as everyone has stated, leave it alone and don't worry about it. Concentrate on clean water through regular partial water changes.

pH Question

Hey everyone I just got my tank back going again (through water changes with no fish) for about 2 weeks now, I have a constant and very high Ph right around 7.6 I have no fish in there only a few Bulbs I'm attempting to grow, gravel a moss ball and a rock. Does anyone have any advice on how to lower the Ph down to a reasonable level before I buy fish?

Thanks!

Hello S...

Don't fret over the water. Aquatic fish will adapt to public water supplies. Fish prefer more alkaline water, so your pH is fine. Most fish are fine with a pH of between 6.5 and 8.

Don't try to change the pH properties, that's asking for trouble.

B

Back
Top Bottom