PH rising on its own

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pisan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
background is ..

55 gallon Petco , petsmart and tropic isle decorations . fluval fake plants . pet smart fake driftwood and some Petco fake plants with Petco blue aquarium gravel . PH out of tap is 7.4 PH from tap in the tank after decorated and running a week 7.4 add fish 6 pearl danio at first then 6 more a week later PH is now between 7.8 - 8.0 . ammonia is still 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 . 2 aqua clear 50 filters at center of each side , lighted bubble ring left center and aqueon pro 200 watt heater tank is 77 to 78 degrees f . this tank is just starting cycle a little confused as to why no ammonia and the PH rising . on a side note the guy at Petco said my water was soft and would be great for discus ( not that I want to keep them ) but forgot to get reading at that time because this was not a issue then ..

pis...

When you cycle a tank with fish, you need 3 to 4 medium sized fish for every 10 gallons of water. You feed a little every day or two to maintain a steady ammonia source. Test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove 25 percent of the water and replace that with treated tap water. Test daily and change out the water when needed. In a month or so, when you have no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. Then, to maintain good water conditions, you remove and replace half every few days for as long as you keep the tank.

Don't fret over the pH or any of the other chemistry stuff. Just follow the instructions above.

B

background is ..

55 gallon Petco , petsmart and tropic isle decorations . fluval fake plants . pet smart fake driftwood and some Petco fake plants with Petco blue aquarium gravel . PH out of tap is 7.4 PH from tap in the tank after decorated and running a week 7.4 add fish 6 pearl danio at first then 6 more a week later PH is now between 7.8 - 8.0 . ammonia is still 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 . 2 aqua clear 50 filters at center of each side , lighted bubble ring left center and aqueon pro 200 watt heater tank is 77 to 78 degrees f . this tank is just starting cycle a little confused as to why no ammonia and the PH rising . on a side note the guy at Petco said my water was soft and would be great for discus ( not that I want to keep them ) but forgot to get reading at that time because this was not a issue then ..

Tap water holds more co2 because it is cold and under pressure maybe the ph risen more as the tank stabilised and the co2 was gassed out. You can't 100% trust the pH tester whether it's a regent or a pen either but the main thing is that the fish are ok. If they look then I wouldn't worry too much. Poor some tap water in a glass and let it sit out for a day. Test it then see.

As for ammonia 55 gallon is a large volume. Perhaps the chosen fish are not large enough to produce enough ammonia to register on the kit? Use seachem prime every now and then or an equivalent conditioner that can detoxify harmful nitrogen. Your pH puts you at a higher risk for ammonia toxicity.

Lastly, did it occur to you that the guy at petco could be wrong about your water? See if you can get a water report for your area off the Internet.

my water is well water that goes through a softener so I would assume the water would be on the softer side . ( just assuming ) the guy at Petco is an enthusiast he said he has had tanks for 16 years and currently has 5 in his home of which 3 are marine even steered me away from the zebra danio because as he said they were off . he seemed genuine .

What fish do you have and how is their health?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

fish are pearl danios and they look healthy active and eating number of fish are 12 in a 55 tank .

Back
Top Bottom