Picking up a 135, QUESTIONS.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found a Craigslist add that has a 150 gallon for $150. Great deal I think, even better they were even considering a trade for a 55 gallon with stand. I just so happen to have that sitting in the basement. And the persons interested! So I go pick it up tomorrow. The add says 150, but the dimensions are 72.5x18x24, which equals to 135.6 either way Its what I want, something over 120.

I am going to set this tank up with a homemade stand and canopy, most likely will sit pretty low as I think I want to put it under my TV hanging on the wall. The plan is a couple of Red Tiger Oscars, with maybe 5 Giant danios or 5 silver dollars. I have seen both of these setups and think they look awesome. I plan on a sand substrate with a large piece of driftwood and maybe a couple very low light plants. I want a black painted background as well. Now I have a couple questions....

1. What kind of lighting should I get, this tank has no hood, but with a canopy I am guessing anything will work. I want something that is fairly dark, ill attach a couple pics for examples....

2. What kind of filter will work for a 135? I am planning on a canister, I don't want a HOB as I want this tank to be very clean and simple. Most canisters I was looking at were for tanks up to 80 gallons, what others will work. I know the Oscars can put out a big bioload.

oscar5.jpg

img_2670469_1_4bb4877acaf9e096db90a9f8c9ff271d.jpg

th

Sounds like a great deal. I'm not too sure on the stocking but as for filtration just buy 2x80g's and place them at opposite ends of the tank :)

You should buy Fluval Fx5. They are for tank up to 150 gallons I think. But they are pricey.

I would also recommend an fx6 if on a budget but i would also run a second filter with it. For what you get theres nothing really that comes close to this for price though. But if you have a choice, pay alittle more for an eheim 2262. This would be the filter i would go for and will definitely be better biologically than the fx6.

Back
Top Bottom