Planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it were me, I'd punt and return the setup unless I got a killer deal on it..

9 times out of 10 you can get better individual components for the same money as an all in one package.. (not counting the light for a planted tank)

fort384 said:
Yes, unfortunately with that fixture, it will difficult to grow live plants. You might be able to keep some java moss or java ferns alive with it. Your options though are pretty limited unless you upgrade to a higher light source.

I might try the java n upgrade later when I get my 75 or another 55g

If it were me, I'd punt and return the setup unless I got a killer deal on it..

9 times out of 10 you can get better individual components for the same money as an all in one package.. (not counting the light for a planted tank)

I agree with cjldad, especially if your goal is to grow live plants... I said keep plants alive, but they aren't going to flourish.

fort384 said:
I agree with cjldad, especially if your goal is to grow live plants... I said keep plants alive, but they aren't going to flourish.

Yea I only payed like 200 for my stand n the55 I think that's steller

Did it come with any accessories outside of the light fixture, tank, and stand?

Petco sells tanks a lot of times for $1 per gallon...

cjldad said:
Did it come with any accessories outside of the light fixture, tank, and stand?

Petco sells tanks a lot of times for $1 per gallon...

Nope not at all I might just get the cover where should I get the cover from

There are a lot of crypt varieties of plants that will grow in really low light. I grew a whole carpet of wendii in a 30 gallon with only 18 watts of light. They come in a lot of varieties too.

mudraker said:
There are a lot of crypt varieties of plants that will grow in really low light. I grew a whole carpet of wendii in a 30 gallon with only 18 watts of light. They come in a lot of varieties too.

Where did u get the plants from dude n how much it run u and thank you

fort384 said:
You can get crypts from just about any source that sells aquatic plants. They are very common aquarium plants. They can be kind of fragile at first, but once established, grow very nicely.
Here are 2 sources off the top of my head:
AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium related equipment and fish in an auction format!
AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community.

They just go straight in the gravel and what do I need to get to take care of it and thank u for the sites

Tdukes22 said:
They just go straight in the gravel and what do I need to get to take care of it and thank u for the sites

Also do they have an app for any of them

www.plantedaquariumcentral.com is excellent. Its a lady in Arizona who really knows her stuff and her prices and shipping is topknotch.

As for additives, I did nothing to mine to grow them like crazy.

I later used root tabs (micronutrient type) to grow other varieties because they are heavy root feeders. They also like Excel, but you don't have to use any of these, but they do help them grow quicker.

mudraker said:
www.plantedaquariumcentral.com is excellent. Its a lady in Arizona who really knows her stuff and her prices and shipping is topknotch.

As for additives, I did nothing to mine to grow them like crazy.

I later used root tabs (micronutrient type) to grow other varieties because they are heavy root feeders. They also like Excel, but you don't have to use any of these, but they do help them grow quicker.

Do I get them at my LFS and I will deff keep that in mind

Well I have no clue who's right or wrong so I deff can't help in this situation

Let's look at it from a standpoint of WPG, which is a pretty sound method to determine lighting over a midsized tank such as your 55Gal.

A 55 gal tank is 48" wide.

Nova Extreme T5HOx2 | Current What's Next

A 2 bulb T5HO fixture (like model 1126 in the link above) is 108 watts. This equates to about 2 WPG of T5HO lighting. I would agree that this on the verge of needing CO2 for algae control--although I bet there are people who would run this tank with just a little fert supplementation and no CO2.

But -- the fixture could be ran with 1 plant bulb, and 1 actinic bulb. This would make it a low light tank. You would have several benefits from this: The single plant T5HO bulb would provide a good amount of usable light to grow low light plants (much more usable light than a single tube T8). The actinic would give the water a great blue shading, making fish and plants "pop" under the light. It would also leave room for expansion to run both T5HO bulbs as plant bulbs in the future, should you decide you want to run CO2 and grow some more difficult plants. If you intend to update lighting on a tank, I would rather spend a little extra up front and get something that leaves you options for expansion, rather than buy 1 low powered fixture now, and then down the road go out and buy another fixture.

fort384 said:
Let's look at it from a standpoint of WPG, which is a pretty sound method to determine lighting over a midsized tank such as your 55Gal.

A 55 gal tank is 48" wide.

Nova Extreme T5HOx2 | Current What's Next

A 2 bulb T5HO fixture (like model 1126 in the link above) is 108 watts. This equates to about 2 WPG of T5HO lighting. I would agree that this on the verge of needing CO2 for algae control--although I bet there are people who would run this tank with just a little fert supplementation and no CO2.

But -- the fixture could be ran with 1 plant bulb, and 1 actinic bulb. This would make it a low light tank. You would have several benefits from this: The single plant T5HO bulb would provide a good amount of usable light to grow low light plants (much more usable light than a single tube T8). The actinic would give the water a great blue shading, making fish and plants "pop" under the light. It would also leave room for expansion to run both T5HO bulbs as plant bulbs in the future, should you decide you want to run CO2 and grow some more difficult plants. If you intend to update lighting on a tank, I would rather spend a little extra up front and get something that leaves you options for expansion, rather than buy 1 low powered fixture now, and then down the road go out and buy another fixture.

Yea that makes sense but how much are they and where should I get them from

check online... there are a lot of online sources.

Here is one:
Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

48" x 5-1/2" Saltwater; 108 watt, CD-29697 <--this is the one I would recommend if you aren't going to run CO2 immediately. It would come with 1 Actinic, and one 10000K bulb. It runs $157.99. If you shop around I am sure you could find them cheaper. I have bought fixtures off of Ebay before as well...

Again, it isn't a requirement -- you can grow plants with a lot less. But if you have the money, and you really want to dive into FW planted tanks, I don't think you can go wrong with T5HO lighting. The difference between a standard T8 and a T5HO bulb is night and day :)

fort384 said:
check online... there are a lot of online sources.

Here is one:
Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

48" x 5-1/2" Saltwater; 108 watt, CD-29697 <--this is the one I would recommend if you aren't going to run CO2 immediately. It would come with 1 Actinic, and one 10000K bulb. It runs $157.99. If you shop around I am sure you could find them cheaper. I have bought fixtures off of Ebay before as well...

Again, it isn't a requirement -- you can grow plants with a lot less. But if you have the money, and you really want to dive into FW planted tanks, I don't think you can go wrong with T5HO lighting. The difference between a standard T8 and a T5HO bulb is night and day :)

Wait Is it for one or two of the light the 157.00

Back
Top Bottom