Platinum angelfish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sharkbait54 said:
I'm glad I didn't have another tank they are a beautiful pair the males fins are so long.

Haha really? Id love to see pics!

I know it's pretty brutal the thing was I had no other tank at the time that was the only reason I left him in there... Now I can't stop them from breeding.

Most people would have grown out a group of juveniles in order to obtain a pair. You got lucky, plain and simple. To advise others to start with 2 in the hopes that they will get along is not good advice IMHO.

I hope to share his luck! If not i am prepared to give him away, but if i have no room for more then 2 angelfish to try and find a pair isnt my only option to guess and try to get a female??

severum mama said:
Most people would have grown out a group of juveniles in order to obtain a pair. You got lucky, plain and simple. To advise others to start with 2 in the hopes that they will get along is not good advice IMHO.

We have different opinions. I didn't have the room to buy a group of angels, he doesn't either. Let him try he really wanted the platinum let him try if it fails nothing is lost...

In the end he chose what he thought was right there is a chance they will be ok. All we can do is wish him luck.

Not bring others down because we want to see him succeed. JMHO

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I hope to share his luck! If not i am prepared to give him away, but if i have no room for more then 2 angelfish to try and find a pair isnt my only option to guess and try to get a female??

My lfs manager is very knowledgable he know how to sex them very accurately even when they are not mating. You could ask your lfs if you trust them to get you a female. But there's a chance Gabriel could reject that one to. Good luck guys!!!

How is the platinum?

Sharkbait54 said:
We have different opinions. I didn't have the room to buy a group of angels, he doesn't either. Let him try he really wanted the platinum let him try if it fails nothing is lost...

In the end he chose what he thought was right there is a chance they will be ok. All we can do is wish him luck.

Thanks alot! I agree, if it doesnt work nothing is lost and i can just give the fish to a good home! I will try, but who knows

Sharkbait54 said:
My lfs manager is very knowledgable he know how to sex them very accurately even when they are not mating. You could ask your lfs if you trust them to get you a female. But there's a chance Gabriel could reject that one to. Good luck guys!!!

How is the platinum?

Hes doin alright, gabriel isnt being too too bad, and we have plants for cover. The little guy just chills, but obviously looks stressed. Hope he can get a good break tonight

severum mama said:
If you consider the adult size of your fish, I'd say the tank is pretty well stocked. Just curious if you have ever seen an actual adult angel? A lot of hobbyists haven't, because they're a rare find at the LFS... but we have seen and owned some pretty massive ones. We had a male once that made a 75 look kind of small. Just sayin.

They are beautiful I've seen one at least 8 inches long how old are they when thy are this big?

No one is trying to bring anyone else down, there's no harm in suggesting that some planning be in order when stocking a tank, especially when dealing with semi aggressive fish. Sure, you can buy fish on a whim, but it's not a bad idea to research it a bit and have some sort of backup plans ready to go in case things go south.

I don't think anyone wants it to fail, it's just that some of us here have run into this situation before, so there's a lot of experience talking. I've had it happen multiple times, usually when introducing a new angelfish into a tank with a dominant male or a mating pair, usually females are less aggressive.

And it can be hard to sex them when they aren't mating, there's a few indicators like a small hump or just a size difference in more mature fish, as well as behavior, but when they are small juveniles it is next to impossible.

Ya thanks for the input. I do have a backup plan and i wasnt buying on whim, just so you know. Thanks

HN1 said:
So whim = < 2 hours?

Okay. I had been thinking about buying an angel or a gourmi for around 1 1/2 months now, and when i saw this angel i decide that i would be able to fit it into my tank. I didnt just see an angel fish randomly and just buy it without ever thinking about it.

jetajockey said:
No one is trying to bring anyone else down, there's no harm in suggesting that some planning be in order when stocking a tank, especially when dealing with semi aggressive fish. Sure, you can buy fish on a whim, but it's not a bad idea to research it a bit and have some sort of backup plans ready to go in case things go south.

I don't think anyone wants it to fail, it's just that some of us here have run into this situation before, so there's a lot of experience talking. I've had it happen multiple times, usually when introducing a new angelfish into a tank with a dominant male or a mating pair, usually females are less aggressive.

And it can be hard to sex them when they aren't mating, there's a few indicators like a small hump or just a size difference in more mature fish, as well as behavior, but when they are small juveniles it is next to impossible.

All the advise I've given him is from experience angels are cichlids, cichlids constantly challenge eachother especially newcomers. So it's not a big deal to see some aggression at first.

Okay i have not seen much agression between them in a while. They sit in opposite corners of the tank and do not really go near eachother. This might be because it is dark and they could be sleeping, but still no fighting ;)

Ok so i woke up and saw my new angelfish hiding in a corner. His fins were a tiny bit nipped, but it wasent too bad. Then i decided to try and get him to eat so i put some dood next to him and he ate alot, and my other angel wasnt bugging him. Now my new angel swam back to his corner and is being left alone for the most part

We do not know what to do. Just noticed that is right fin (arm) was halfway gone. We sont think that te pet store would even take him now so we are kinda stuck

Back
Top Bottom