Please help: Baby betta with bent spine!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
PLEASE HELP!!! :( hello everyone, i have a super urgent problem: my baby betta seems to have a bent spine!!!! he was laying on the bottom all day today, and i looked at him and his spine is all crooked!!! what does this mean, and will i lose him???? i don't know what to do!! please help :( i don't want my baby to die but i don't know what caused this and what to do!!!!!! he's also breathing really heavily!!

Khloe

PLEASE!!! THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!!! nobody's answering!!!!! he loooks like he might die!!!!!!!! one of his eyes also looks a bit weird, like lighter and bigger almost

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Baby betta, described above

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Not sure what they are exactly, but i got it tested two days ago and the only thing that was a bit high was ammonia.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 2 gallons, set up for 2 1/2 months i think.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. None, just frequent water changes. 5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? Just one, my baby betta 6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I did a water change about 20 mins ago. I change the water every three days, about 30%-40% if it is very dirty. 7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? For about 2 months 8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No 9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Small pellets that they sell in Petco made for small fish. I'm not home so I don't know the brand. sorry! Khloe

There are several things I can think of that could be causing it. Genetic deformities, fish TB, or parasites. If it is getting worse, it's most likely not genetic, though.

Did the fish recently have a crooked spine ? You should look into this http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/curved_spine/
If your Betta is irrelevant to the link then its probably genetic or a damage which I least expect it was . You can add aquarium salt to the water to the water it will boost his immune system and give him that strength he needs and help his gills . If he eats normally and doesn't show any other sign of sickness he could live a good 3+ years . If he's really suffering and refuses to eat and shows no sign of recovery I would suggest to put him into a forever sleep :( Getting a bigger tank with a heater and filter would really help him a lot as well . I hope all goes well with your Betta !

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did the fish recently have a crooked spine ? You should look into this http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/curved_spine/
If your Betta is irrelevant to the link then its probably genetic or a damage which I least expect it was . You can add aquarium salt to the water to the water it will boost his immune system and give him that strength he needs and help his gills . If he eats normally and doesn't show any other sign of sickness he could live a good 3+ years . If he's really suffering and refuses to eat and shows no sign of recovery I would suggest to put him into a forever sleep :( Getting a bigger tank with a heater and filter would really help him a lot as well . I hope all goes well with your Betta !

I agree with this. 2 gallons and no filter worries me. I keep my Betta with shrimp and ADF in a 10 gallon. He loves the swimming space and shows it off quite often. 10 gallons even new are cheap and if it is only genetic he will appreciate the upgrade years from now.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I agree with this. 2 gallons and no filter worries me. I keep my Betta with shrimp and ADF in a 10 gallon. He loves the swimming space and shows it off quite often. 10 gallons even new are cheap and if it is only genetic he will appreciate the upgrade years from now.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

thanks for the replies. :( i already have a 10 gallon tank but it has mollies in it. the baby was not planned, a friend was going to flush him because he is white and she did not want him. since i'm only 14, my mom won't let me get a bigger tank right now. :( i don't know if he's gonna make it. i guess all i can do is wait and see because he seems to be just laying on the bottom or floating at the top

Khloe

Sounds like bloat from your reply . You never know maybe a boiled shelled pea (frozen or fresh ) smashed into a fine pure could help it . Feed small amounts of the pure to the betta if he will eat it .

You said there was ammonia when they tested a few days ago- did you do a water change or anything? Chances are the ammonia is just building up. I would start with doing a water change and making sure you add dechlorinater and maybe extra stress coat if you have it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i'm going to give him the pea to try, i did a water change too. he just keeps gasping at the bottom :(

Khloe

Sounds like bloat from your reply . You never know maybe a boiled shelled pea (frozen or fresh ) smashed into a fine pure could help it . Feed small amounts of the pure to the betta if he will eat it .

i tried giving it to him but he won't eat it! what should i do?? :( i feel like this is a nightmare :( my poor baby is basically dying in front of me and i'm so helpless right now.

Khloe

You said there was ammonia when they tested a few days ago- did you do a water change or anything? Chances are the ammonia is just building up. I would start with doing a water change and making sure you add dechlorinater and maybe extra stress coat if you have it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

yes i did do a water change today. i just don't know why it didn't fix anything. he won't eat the pea, he just is laying on the bottom gasping. he doesn't even have clamped fins or anything!

Khloe

okay, wait a second.... i just read a bunch of articles and threads, and now i'm wondering if he is constipated?? i did notice his poop was weird two days in a row, kind of balled up instead of normal. and i didn't see him poop yesterday when i was home at least. so now i'm wondering, is he constipated? will this kill him? what should i do since he will not eat the pea? thanks!!

Khloe

okay, wait a second.... i just read a bunch of articles and threads, and now i'm wondering if he is constipated?? i did notice his poop was weird two days in a row, kind of balled up instead of normal. and i didn't see him poop yesterday when i was home at least. so now i'm wondering, is he constipated? will this kill him? what should i do since he will not eat the pea? thanks!!

Khloe

Peas are sometimes not accepted right away. Keep trying. I don't know if I've heard of death by constipation though. It's like with any new food it takes time for them to accept it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Peas act as a laxative, but since he won't eat it, I don't know what you should do. Since you know him the best, you are the one who is most likely to be able to think of a good solution.

Peas act as a laxative, but since he won't eat it, I don't know what you should do. Since you know him the best, you are the one who is most likely to be able to think of a good solution.

Yes they are a laxative. It's best if they are shelled first and if needed broken down into Smaller pieces.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Peas are sometimes not accepted right away. Keep trying. I don't know if I've heard of death by constipation though. It's like with any new food it takes time for them to accept it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

so should i like push it down to him since he won't move from the bottom of the tank? or?? ugh i am so upset i'm sorry i just don't know what to do right now, and i appreciate all of your help and everyone else's, i'm just stressed out so i'm probably sounding quite obnoxious... i just want my baby to not die because literally every single time i think/say that one of my fish is going to die (because they act a bit weird) i'm always right, which totally stinks. i just have a feeling i'll wake up to a dead baby :(

Khloe

:( i honestly am at a loss. i'm a total beginner and i have another betta who's an adult so he's easy with everything. i have no idea what to do at this point and i'm totally stressing. i am trying to figure out for sure what it is because does constipation always mean the stomach is bloated because i don't think his is any bigger than normal.

Khloe

Try smashing the pea and mixing it with some tank water, then putting it in an eyedropper (if you have one) and squirting a little bit of the pea mush in front of him.

Back
Top Bottom