Please help: Baby betta with bent spine!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so should i like push it down to him since he won't move from the bottom of the tank? or?? ugh i am so upset i'm sorry i just don't know what to do right now, and i appreciate all of your help and everyone else's, i'm just stressed out so i'm probably sounding quite obnoxious... i just want my baby to not die because literally every single time i think/say that one of my fish is going to die (because they act a bit weird) i'm always right, which totally stinks. i just have a feeling i'll wake up to a dead baby :(

Khloe

It's alright. We have all lost some fish at some point. He will eat it when he is ready to. I would definitely start saving for a larger tank like a 10 with a filter and heater. A tank that size uses very little energy even running 24/7. They also do not weigh a whole lot compared to bigger tanks. I keep mine on an old dresser and never had a problem. Having a filter running will help prevent ammonia problems in the future and give more space for error since there is more water. For now though just focus on seeing if he will eat the pea.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's alright. We have all lost some fish at some point. He will eat it when he is ready to. I would definitely start saving for a larger tank like a 10 with a filter and heater. A tank that size uses very little energy even running 24/7. They also do not weigh a whole lot compared to bigger tanks. I keep mine on an old dresser and never had a problem. Having a filter running will help prevent ammonia problems in the future and give more space for error since there is more water. For now though just focus on seeing if he will eat the pea.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

i've tried using an eyedropper, and he simply won't budge to even take the time and eat it. i can't force him to eat it, so will i just have to wait it out? and the only problem is with getting a ten gallon is since i already have one on my only dresser, it is right next to my tortoise's cage and they are side to side so there's absolutely no room for another tank that size. i keep asking my parents to let me upgrade it but for now they said there's no space for anything bigger. i will work on upgrading to at least a five gallon soon, and then see from there. but i don't know if it will even matter at this point. i've tried everything and he just won't move, just lays down and gasps. :( i don't even know what to do anymore, besides just try to sleep and hope for the best. i keep hoping that i'll wake up and see him swimming around like normal, that this is just some discomfort and he'll poop and be all better. iwas/am really hoping to be able to watch this little guy grow up to be a pretty adult betta, but i guess i'll have to wait and see how it goes. thanks for all of the help though :)

How much do you feed him in a daily basis ? You should fast him for about 3 days and on the 4th day feed him a small piece of pea and if he eats it feed him a little more. Try adding a small piece of the pea stuck to a pellet to see if hell give it a try.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

it kills me to say this, but my sweet little boy passed away this evening. i really loved watching him grow up, and he brought me so much joy. i had really hoped that i would be able to see him grow into a handsome betta one day, but i guess some things aren't meant to be. honestly, i don't know how long it's going to take me to get over this because he was just the sweetest little guy you'd ever meet, and he was my first baby betta fish (and now probably my last). rest in peace little guy, i won't ever forget you. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. They really are like little family members.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very sorry :( I know the feeling. I lost one of my ADF yesterday. No idea why others are perfectly healthy. Maybe you could breed a pair and have a new healthier baby one day.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm sorry for your loss :( bettas are the best.
If you did want another baby, Petco sells baby bettas. I know Petco is hit or miss with healthy fish, but they are the only place I've ever seen that sold babies.

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

I'm sorry for your loss :( bettas are the best.
If you did want another baby, Petco sells baby bettas. I know Petco is hit or miss with healthy fish, but they are the only place I've ever seen that sold babies.

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Is there any way to identify if a betta is male or female at this age?

Not to my knowledge there isn't. Could be wrong though.

I've reviewed the thread and wish I could have helped but I am dealing with my own crisis right now. A few notes:
We still don't know what he died of and I want to give as much information as possible on this for possible further use or research on part of the new owners or anyone who may research and come across this thread in the years or months to come.

First let me say I am very sorry for your loss. I truly do feel with the knowledge you have you have done everything you could. Please do not fault yourself as sometimes fish are just genetically weaker or prone to illness. I lost a betta to swim bladder disorder through no fault of my own and it still stings.

The first thing I want to note though: did he have a heater and what kind of food were you giving him? An S shaped spine can be indicative of a nutritional deficiency of some kind. I dont mean to say that is necessarily the case however - my deceased betta had an S shaped spine toward the end and he was fed the best food on the market. I just know it is a possibility.

Second I'm inclined to think that he died of some kind of bacterial swim bladder infection or obviously constipation but there is no way to know for sure. It could have been that or constipation. Also, in cases of constipation or infection it could be helpful to add epsom salt to the tank water as it acts as a laxative. Someone mentioned fish tb - could be but I've heard it's uncommon and I think parasites would indicate white poop and long strings but its possible it didn't come out. Genetic is certainly a possibility at least in my eyes.

Very sorry for your loss. I just recently went through the same.

Sorry for your loss :( he's resting in an eternal Rice Paddle .

thanks everyone :) you are all very kind. i think if i get another betta, i will just stick with an "adult" for now. i'm heading over to my lfs tonight to see what they've got, haha! wish me luck!! thanks again :)

Nice ! I hope all goes well with your new buddy :)

Back
Top Bottom