Please help major problem and death!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know what is wrong but in the last two days I have had 2 guppies, 2 neon tetras, 2 rummy nose tetras, and one snail die! I don't understand! I has added 3 guppies and one snail to my 10 gallon tank the day before the deaths began... I had my water tested and the nitrite was high so I cleaned the tank and changed about 1/3 of the water out. Went to the petstore yesterday and they said I had a few problems. I got something for inside the filter to lower nitrites. Also bought test strips. everything was at a perfect level except my alkalinity was super low and my water hardness was really high! I don't know how to fix these things!! I have googled and just aren't getting good answers. I'm so worried for my fish! Every time I think it looks good I come back to dead fish! I'm so worried!! All of my fish were old ones so I can't even replace them! But the remaining fish look good.. But not to say in an hour they won't be dead! In worried for my more expensive fish :/ for just replacing them costs... SOMEBODY PLEASE COMMENT AND EXPLAIN THIS TO ME AND HOW I NEED TO FIX IT! I just signed up for this forum since I'm going crazy!!!!!

Let's take it from the beginning ..... You haven't cycled your tank, right?

Cycling is like what to do when you first start a stank right? Like the time it takes for it all to balance out? Cause if so then yes it's been running for over 6 months and I haven't had any problems..

Ok great thanks! I just bought easy balance and put that in there to see if that would help a little bit..

Ok... I just bought the strips I will get through them then buy the better one

During your cycle, you'll probably be using them once a day at least. Keep us updated!

Remaining I have:
. 2 snails
. 1 tiny sucker fish
. One other sucker fish ( bigger but still small)
. 2 young cherry barbs
. 3 young neon tetras
. 2 guppies
. 1 small platy
. Two small glass fish
. And 2 dwarf garamis (the are still pretty young)

Just did a water change a few days ago and am going one today. The nitrites are perfect and everything is perfectly balanced except the alkalinity it low and the water is hard.

All of this is in a 10 gallon? It seems a bit over stocked which also means levels of ammonia and nitrite are going to get lethal quickly in a tank that isn't fully cycled

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes a 10 gallon. It has been running for over 6 months and I have had the water check many times and the ammonia and nitrite levels are right were they should be. I clean the tank out quite a bit and do water changes too.

Does seem overstocked (even though they are all babies) for your tank. But you're definitely overstocked for a fish in cycle.

You're using strips so I wouldn't be confident your water parameters are fine (thus the occurring deaths).

Suggest finding a temporary home and doing a proper cycle before bringing them back. As was suggested, go with the API test kit.

How do I do the cycle? And they aren't all babies they are just all small fish I don't have any over two inches and most of them are less than an inch long. I will buy the proper test lot soon though.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

key point:

Planning phase-
The basic idea behind this method is to keep stocking and waste production at a minimum, this will, in essence, keep toxin levels minimal as well, so that the fish are not subject to any extreme toxin spikes.
STOCK LIGHTLY. I cannot emphasize this more, STOCK LIGHTLY, less is more. My rule of thumb for stocking levels while fish-in cycling is to stock only small fish at first. This can be a larger species, as long as it's small at the time of cycling.

A 1-2" fish size is ideal.

I'm not sure this is is cycling issue. Sounds like you were fully cycled if your fish have survived for 6 months, and you're just now having problems. Your tank is a bit overstocked, and probably unstable. 3 adult guppies is a lot to add to a 10 gallon at once. Your biofilter couldn't handle the extra load, so you had a mini-cycle.

A 10 gallon is somewhat limited as to what you can stock. If the sucker fish is a common pleco, it's going to grow way too big for your tank. If so, it needs to be re-homed. I would also re-home the platy and cherry barbs, and either the guppies or gouramis as well. Re-home at least one of the gouramis anyway - they are likely both male DGs and most likely won't get along with each other in a 10 gallon once they're mature. Most of these fish will work in a 10 gallon, but you'll have to decide which ones you like best. Also, if you want to keep the neons, the more the better since they're schooling fish. So 5 or 6 at minimum is recommended. Go to aqadvisor.com to get a general idea of your stocking level, and try entering different combinations of fish to see what your options are.

I would honestly get rid of the gourami sand barbs. Like someone else mentioned tetras do best in groups of 6 or more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks everybody! And like I had said it has been perfect for 6 months with no deaths at all just when I added the new fish and did a water cabbage is when I had the problems. The Pleco is a small version that will stay under 4 inches. Why should I regime the platy and cherry barbs? I had 5 neons but they had started dying. I was planning on moving the guppies to a smaller tank but I needed that one to have more time cycling before I added those but it doesn't matter anymore since they are dead... How big do the Dwarf Gouramis get? I didn't think they got big. They seem to actually be pretty good together I haven't ever seen them fight they just swim along close to eachother most of the time. But every now and then I see them with their noses at the other ones butt and they shake... I didn't know what that meant but they aren't aggressive the just do the little shake then swim apart...

Back
Top Bottom