Please help, severely ill Red tail Shark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbaum32

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My older brother was in an accident and we were unaware that he had an aquarium in his apartment. What we found was traumatic and I need help to save his fish but I'm not sure what is best.

In the tank he has, what I believe is a red tail shark (however it may also be a rainbow shark or similar freshwater shark) and a small tetra. I believe he originally had three tetras but since has lost two of them.

Their tank is very filthy but the tetra seems pretty healthy all things considered. The RTS is what I am most concerned about. He appears to have a severe case of fin rot. almost his entire tail has rotted away and he has trouble swimming.
I am afraid to take them out of the dirty tank because I do not want to shock them. I started with a 20% water change but I know I need to get them out of the tank and completely start over for their health.

Perimeters:
1. currently in a 10 gallon tank (I have done research and I am aware that this is small for a RTS but i am trying to do my best to save him)
2. Tank has a filter and I will change the filter. (I am unaware of the power/size of the filtration system)

Would it be a good idea to take some of the water from the current tank and fill 50% of a "hospital tank" (1-2 gallons) for each fish and add 50% new water to start to care for them?
I need step by step directions, please.

Did you keep filter going on old tank ?
I would do a large water change using conditioner on old tank then test water. The old filter has good bacteria to handle that level of waste.

Do not rinse filter pads in tap water... Conditioned water or used tank water only.

The fish need clean water you can add extra Prime if needed if there is still ammonia.

Do not "change" filter pads. Just rinse. Otherwise you throw good bacteria away.

The fin rot is most likely from high Ammomia from lack of water changes.

Do not START OVER. Just water changes with Prime to get water clean.

Test water b4 and after changes. It may be too late, but I hope you can save him.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

+1
Yeah i wouldn't start over either, just do as coursair said, leave filter pads and everything alone just gravel vac entire substrate, water changes, prime once the tank gets nitrite/ammonia back to 0, the tail will grow back, just a friendly note, RTS are not community fish they are aggressive unless kept in a group i took mine out because it was stressing alum my community fish out and put it in with my nephews mbuna and convict it did get beat up pretty bad the first couple weeks lost dorsal fin, tail but now they are fine together and the RTS fins are back and all is good.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom