Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
Cycling question

Alright so.... I haven't had my tank for that long, probably a month. And I just now started learning about cycling and I have about 7 fish and two frogs. I want to start cycling my tank though cuz I don't want future problems. I am going to order a master test kit soon so I can test my water. I have been doing weekly water tests at petsmart and weekly 25% water changes. My levels are good but I need to get everything right because I want more fish. My problems is im not going to return my fish or anything and I didn't start doing this right away. Good thing is all my fish are pretty hardy fish. I have a twenty gallon and I want to start cycling by at least next weekend. My question is can anyone tell me what exactly to do and the steps I should take. I've read but not anything for my situation. Thank you.

You can't really just "decide" when to start cycling a tank, and its not on a schedule. Once you set it up and turn the filter on, the tank will do it all by itself. The tank usually cycles completely in the first 2 months of the tank running. First the ammonia (from fish poop, dead fish, etc.) will cause a spike, then the nitrite will spike, and finally the nitrate. Do you know specifically the readings of the tank? A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and around 5-10ppm nitrate. Adding seeded biological media in the filter also helps in cycling. Also, don't just keep adding fish...what types of fish do you have in there? I would say stop at 10 fish. But if they are a smaller species, you could go to 15, but do not go over 20...IMO. No steps really to take in cycling, just keep doing the water changes and test the parameters on a (daily) basis IMO, and watch as the cycle goes on.

You have essentially already started a fish-in cycle. Check the stickies on the freshwater getting started forums for a fish in cycle to get the basic steps. Essentially what you need to do is test the water daily and do water changes whenever the ammonia, nitrites or nitrates rise to a dangerous level. Be prepared to do large water changes pretty frequently. You will see ammonia first, then nitrites, then nitrates. Eventually the ammonia and nitrites will stay at zero while your nitrates rise, and then your cycle has completed.

Alright so.... I haven't had my tank for that long, probably a month. And I just now started learning about cycling and I have about 7 fish and two frogs. I want to start cycling my tank though cuz I don't want future problems. I am going to order a master test kit soon so I can test my water. I have been doing weekly water tests at petsmart and weekly 25% water changes. My levels are good but I need to get everything right because I want more fish. My problems is im not going to return my fish or anything and I didn't start doing this right away. Good thing is all my fish are pretty hardy fish. I have a twenty gallon and I want to start cycling by at least next weekend. My question is can anyone tell me what exactly to do and the steps I should take. I've read but not anything for my situation. Thank you.

Yes, if you have fish in your tank you are doing a fish in cycle. I recommend bacteria in a bottle, but not just any of them. I used tetra safestart and i was cycled in a week. Honestly. Many will say bacteria in a bottle does not work, but the patented bio spira does work and that is what is in tetra safestart. Petsmart has it. And they will have the api freshwater master test kit that is absolutely imperative to have. The test kit is around $25 and it tests all of the main parameters. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph.

Don't add any more fish until your ammonia and nitrites consistently read zero or really close to zero. Even if u get up to .25 every couple of days do a partial water change. You will know you are cycled when ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrates start to register. Seeing nitrates is actually a good thing within reason. Do a pwc if it rises above 20. Do not confuse nitrites with nitrates. Nitrite levels are toxic even at low levels. Nitrates can build up just a piece and still be ok

Back
Top Bottom