Plz help babies maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh wow! Look at the difference! When did they start to get their colours? I'm really curious about my babies because I only have the one bumble bee. I've been reading about (dare I say the word) hybrids and I'm almost afraid to say I think these are those. I have no idea who daddy is. So I'm hoping with time I'll see some characteristics shine through so I can tell.

Uh oh lol jk hybrids are pretty nice sometime too usually the male will be the one that is still shakin all over the tank or he would be digging caves or holes.. Usually takes 2-3 weeks but i fee them like 2-3 times a day and kept light on 24/7 with tempture at 76-78 F

Lol! I have a few males that shake themselves all over the tank. I tried three times today to get them to eat with no luck. I'm a little worried they're not going to and that I may have removed mom too soon?

Can you post another picture of your babies one that's really close up so I can see them

And you also don't want to leave the lights on 24/7 fish sleep just like we do and need darkness

On a side note the lights on aquariums are for us not the fish they don't need any lights

I had just shut the lights off and was about to get into bed lol!
I managed to get a couple shots. Sorry if they're crappy I'm using my phone.
They're pretty fast when they want to be lol!

Attachments

• image-3346802791.jpg
    image-3346802791.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 68
  • image-104355665.jpg
    image-104355665.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2729631905.jpg
    image-2729631905.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2394844615.jpg
    image-2394844615.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3171286011.jpg
    image-3171286011.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 71
Yea they are still pretty small and have a lot of egg sack inside of them. They will eat off of that until it is gone then they will accept other food. I would feed once a day just a little bit until they stay to take it then I would proceed to 2-3 times a day making sure not to over feed

Is that what the dark circle is inside them? I read that you can actually see when they are "empty" and need food. Is that true? So I should cut back the feeding (or attempts) until the circle is gone? She spit out two dead so only 28. She's really young herself. I thought she'd have maybe 4-5 from looking in her mouth. I was so surprised to see her spit ALL of them out lol!

Yea their mouths are surprisingly big lol. But I'm not sure of its the dark circle but the whole yellow part that looks like the belly is the remnants of the sac. Just feed a very tiny amount everyday until you see them actually eat it then when you see that feed them more

I keep ghost shrimp in with my babies to eat left over food they are a good cleanup crew and worth it IMO

here's my babies the day before I let them out of the bouncer

image-3689392457.jpg

image-2449211233.jpg

Oh your babies have nice little round bellies on them. I hope mine will be healthy looking like yours. How old are they in those pics? Mine just got spit out today. Do you think they look ok for their age? I have absolutely no experience with babies and you look (and sound) like you have quite a bit.

Yours do look a little young to be spit she probably got nervous and just spit them or they just couldn't all fit in her mouth anymore (why 2 of them might have died)

I'm not really sure how old they are. I strip my eggs from the mother while they are still eggs that way she can go back to eating and won't lose color. That's why they are in that contraption because you have to keep them moving or they will rot

If you can see they still have their egg sacks in this picture

image-633965725.jpg

Oh crap that means I took mom out too soon then doesn't it?? She was swimming around for two days with them trying to get out of her mouth. She kept sucking them back in or rubbing on the stems of the plant to push them back in. Today was the first day she spit them all out and I did read so many different things on what to do. One said remove mom right away so she won't eat them. (She was darting at them just before I decided to take her out) Another said leave her with them (but that wasn't about bumbles, it was generalized for cichlids) Some showed the egg sac as being more of a ball that was externally located on the fry. So I thought my babies were good because the sac that they showed wasn't what I saw on mine. I didn't know that the yellow I see on mine is in fact the egg sac. I hope my actions aren't going to effect the quality of their lives. I feel responsible for the ones that died now. That out of ignorance (just not knowing) and excitement that I may have jumped the gun with these babies?

No no I think you will be fine. As long as the babies are moving around and not just sitting on the bottom then you are absolutely fine. Once the egg sac is internal they still feed on it for another day or so. But if they can swim around then you are ay-okay. But they do need room to grow so whenever you think the mother is ready then move her back home and put the babies in the 10 with lots of plants and places to hide. And since you want to feed them 2-3 times a day you want a good clean up team

They spent the majority of the day on the bottom of the tank. It wasn't until this evening that they started swimming at the top. They are very quick to move when there is anyone by the tank or any sounds/vibrations. I have the tank on my kitchen island so there's a lot of activity. I'm giving mom a week in the planted tank (I've been calling a ten but its actually a 20 my bad) and then I'll move her and them into where she is. I've read not to expect them all to live. That the majority of the fry won't actually make it is there any truth to that? From your experience? I also read that I should be separating the babies that grow faster from the others and the boys from the girls too. My hubby will absolutely crap his pants if I get any more tanks!

The community cichlid, I want to thank you for talking me through all of this. I appreciate your patience with all of my questions. I'm using the phone app, other wise I would hit that little button that sends you a thank you! For the majority of this thread you were the only one responding to me. So thank you very much! (Didn't want you to fade into the background now that the babies are here)
I couldn't remember if I even thanked you until I said thanks in the last post.

Hey no problem that's AA is for. In no time you will be giving help to another first time breeder ;)

The only time that I've lost babies is when I wanted too long to strip and when I fought the mom she spit them all out in the net and killed 2 herself. But other than that no all my babies live and I would expect the same from yours

As for separating males and females. HA if you can successfully do that while they are under 2 inches then ill buy you a new tank to house them lol.

But it looks to me like you've got it all under control and will have some happy healthy babies. Feel free to ask any questions that you want.

The only time that I've lost babies is when I wanted too long to strip and when I fought the mom she spit them all out in the net and killed 2 herself. But other than that no all my babies live and I would expect the same from yours

As for separating males and females. HA if you can successfully do that while they are under 2 inches then ill buy you a new tank to house them lol.

But it looks to me like you've got it all under control and will have some happy healthy babies. Feel free to ask any questions that you want.

Ugh spell check. * waited too long to strip and when I caught the mom*

Thank you so much for your help and for sharing your experience with me. I will stumble along with the plan set forth and see how it goes. I'll post some pics as they grow. I'd love to see yours as they grow too.

Back
Top Bottom