Pressurized C02 Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to have a pressurized c02 system for my 40gal tank and do not want to set up a DIY c02 system (also heard they dont work for larger tanks?)

Anyway is this what I need?:

-Cylinder
-Regulator
-Needle valve
-Solenoid
-Bubble Counter
-Check Valve
-Tubing
-pH monitor
-Diffusion Method

This is what I came across:

Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Milwaukee Solenoid Valve, CO2 Regulator with Bubble Counter

I assume this covers the Regulator, Needle Valve, Solenoid, and Bubble Counter?

The tubing is this?:

Red Sea CO2 Tubing, 3 Meters

Just says that it is for C02. I assume thats good lol

The pH monitor is not cheap!:

Milwaukee SMS122 pH Monitor/Controller

This is useful right?

Cost is important but ease of use is priority. So I still need a Cylinder, a Check Valve, and a Diffusion Method? I heard about using Paintball C02 Cylinders, what else would I need to use that? Am I missing anything?

So much information. I have been doing research but I feel confused/lost. Please help me find the right way.

Thanks for any and all help!

You can do it for about $150-175 or so.

Reg/solenoid/bubble counter/tubing - $89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

Cylinder (if you can't find one cheaper locally) - CO2 Air Tank Draft Beer 5 lb Aluminum Air Tank for Kegerators

Drop Checker (pH monitors are too expensive IMO) - Aquarium Glass Drop Checker x3 for Co2 Monitor Tester | eBay

4dkh solution (you can make it yourself with a kh test and gram scale) - 4 dKH Reference Solution For Co2 Drop Checker pH | eBay

If you're running a canister filter, a DIY inline reactor is the cheapest... and probably the most efficient at diffusing. I made a couple for about $5 in pvc and fittings.

If you just have to have the pH monitor, you are best off getting the complete kit - Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller + MA957 CO2 Regulator + 10 Ft CO2 Tubing

You can do it for about $150-175 or so.

Reg/solenoid/bubble counter/tubing - $89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

Cylinder (if you can't find one cheaper locally) - CO2 Air Tank Draft Beer 5 lb Aluminum Air Tank for Kegerators

Drop Checker (pH monitors are too expensive IMO) - Aquarium Glass Drop Checker x3 for Co2 Monitor Tester | eBay

4dkh solution (you can make it yourself with a kh test and gram scale) - 4 dKH Reference Solution For Co2 Drop Checker pH | eBay

If you're running a canister filter, a DIY inline reactor is the cheapest... and probably the most efficient at diffusing. I made a couple for about $5 in pvc and fittings.

If you just have to have the pH monitor, you are best off getting the complete kit - Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller + MA957 CO2 Regulator + 10 Ft CO2 Tubing

If I bought the complete kit on the bottom, what would I still need in addition. I like the pH controller because it turns it off at a set pH right? I should be able to find a c02 Tank locally.. this would be compatible with most tanks then?

Thanks for replying!

What does the "110V only" mean?

User said:
I want to have a pressurized c02 system for my 40gal tank and do not want to set up a DIY c02 system (also heard they dont work for larger tanks?)

I will say thats not true really I run a diy co2 in my 75 gal and it keeps m drop checker/co2 indicator on green for over 2 weeks

You really don't need the pH controller... once you get it set, it doesn't really require anything than the occasional glance at the drop checker to make sure everything is still going good. Yeah, it's nice to have one (no experience with one personally) since you just set it and go... but you'd still want a drop checker just for comfort purposes. 110v only means its for american standard plugins... like most everything else you get.

Would a timer still be necessary if I get the controller?

I am 22pages into your "Planted 40 Breeder Journal", lots of great useful information!

No, with a pH controller, the solenoid is plugged in through the controller, so when you're at the level of co2 you want, it shuts off. At night, it'll pretty much stay off unless you're offgassing a lot. FWIW, I just use those cheap $5 timers from walmart.

So when you are at your correct level, the controller becomes useless due to changing tanks once every 8 months? I plan on using a timer for both then, lights and c02. C02 on 30 min before lights on. C02 off 30 min before lights off? I think I read that off your thread.

Is 2x39w high light in a 40?

2x39w is plenty in a 40 breeder, I can tell you that much. I struggled with algae when I started.

I wouldn't say it becomes useless... I mean, it keeps working all the time, as it's the part that shuts off the solenoid instead of a timer... but basically, once you get your regulator set how it needs to be, it's good until you run out. How long the cylinder lasts will depend on a lot of factors... but you'll get several months out of a 5lb cylinder on a 40g tank.

Any tips on keeping it away? I havent even looked at dosing yet (just read about it in your thread).

The c02 will probably be high in this tank, 30ppm (if thats high), since the lighting will be high?

The more I read the less I understand.

Also if I dose fertilizers, does that impact my fish?

Thanks for alll your help!

User said:
So when you are at your correct level, the controller becomes useless due to changing tanks once every 8 months? I plan on using a timer for both then, lights and c02. C02 on 30 min before lights on. C02 off 30 min before lights off? I think I read that off your thread.

Is 2x39w high light in a 40?

I have a 2x39w on my 40b. Its almost too much if you have good bulbs and reflectors. My ludwigia and rotala were growing sideways.

Imo, you would be better served getting a better regulator than getting a pH probe. Or a canister filter, if you dont already.

Back
Top Bottom