Problem With Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so today I came home and my anenome was under the rock it killed my snail by wrapping around it and now he's shriveled up please help there is a hole all the middle off it all the way through the anenome

The pic is from the anenomes foot

Please help

It kinda looks like he is splitting

Please help idk if he's dying or what he's still attached but shriveled up and there's a hole through the middle of him please help

Attachments

• image-1036040680.jpg
    image-1036040680.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image-3150957606.jpg
    image-3150957606.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:
I merged 5 posts into 1, and moved this to its own thread since it was not related to the original topic of the other thread.

I suspect this is a water quality issue and perhaps light. Nems need established and stable tank parameters and good lighting. Beyond that I won't be of much help as I have never kept a nem, as my system is not mature enough to do so. It is a 29 gallon tank right? I am sure some folks might be able to assist further if you give us some stats on the tank:

Type of lighting
Duration of lighting per day
Age of tank
Other inhabitants
Water parameters - NH4, NO2, NO3, pH, SG, Mg, Ca, Alk.

Well no it's my 10 still my 29 will be set up in a week but I just have 2 50 50 compact flourescent lights but it only open at night idk why the rest of the day he looks like crap is it maybe because my ph changes at night or somthing I really don't want it to die idk why there's a hole right through the middle of him it's really stressing me out my tank is about 5 months old but idk.

And also my clown is annoying him everything he goes in him he shriveled up even more.

Attachments

• image-3937501287.jpg
    image-3937501287.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 148
So that first pic is of the bottom of the nems foot? So it's upside down in your hand? You shouldn't be able to get a nem to release from a rock that easily. And that nems foot is not pink or red, which if should be. It's not the clown that's annoying it-- Your lights don't seem to me to be strong enough, and it looks like your nem is dying. Sorry. :(

This was him this morning I need him to last one more week I wont have my new t5s till then and it's not red it's a brownish but it looks like his foot has heeled from is it possible to heel that fast and I did a big water change yesterday will that help. He was flipped on his side thismorning but the the side was still attached his he like this to try to heel it.

Attachments

• image-1896802946.jpg
    image-1896802946.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image-598732516.jpg
    image-598732516.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2611641910.jpg
    image-2611641910.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 116
My mom is going to give me my new lights today instead of Christmas will that help

My mom is going to give me my new lights today instead of Christmas will that help

That's great! I hope it's in time for your nem to recover. :) Just keep a close eye on him cuz if he dies, you need to remove him ASAP so he doesn't pollute your whole tank and kill everything else in it. When they die, they'll expel their stomach, kinda look like it turn inside out.

Well my dad had to give me my 29 gal because the lights cracked my 10 so it's not filled up up all the way almost half but I'm afraid to at to much new water bc it will cycle what should I do I have no were else to put my nem or fish or corals and my box angelfish died today this whole thing is really stressing me out money wise!!!

The hole in the middle is the nems mouth. Sometimes anemones turn themselves inside out to regurgitate their large digested food, so they might look odd (not dead though!) You really ought not to take it out and hold it in your hands, though. Similarly to what other person said, if its dead be sure to take it out of tank, it explodes and its not fun cleaning it out (trust me its really hard to pull out the body off your filter pads, valves, etc.) See if it is still reacting to touch (if open) and try not to bug it too much. Pristine water conditions are also a must, which could also negatively affect it. Hopefully your nem turns out okay.

I'm trying to get my water per ammeters back to normal but with my tank cracking and everything it's going to be hard but he looks better he's stuck to the live rock his foot must be healed I got my better lighting next week I will have my protiene skimmer. But what should I do about adding the rest of the water to let it cycle I have no place to put my nem and corals and fish but a bucket but that wont be good enough for two days. It still needs like 15 more gallons of water.

Go to your lfs and get water from their tanks.

Theyll usually sell it by the gallon.

The problem is my lfs is remodeling and the one I got my nem from (somthingfishy) is an hour away

Elykreefs97 said:
I'm trying to get my water per ammeters back to normal but with my tank cracking and everything it's going to be hard but he looks better he's stuck to the live rock his foot must be healed I got my better lighting next week I will have my protiene skimmer. But what should I do about adding the rest of the water to let it cycle I have no place to put my nem and corals and fish but a bucket but that wont be good enough for two days. It still needs like 15 more gallons of water.

If you an extra tank, and use your current water and set up filter, lights etc on it. I once kept everyone from my tank in a large garbage pail with a sponge filter for 24 hours, but never kept corals, nems, etc in such a setup. See if a lfs would keep them for you (but keep in mind that the corals, fish, etc will be shocked going from system to system and back to original)
Im curious now what could be done in such a predicament..

Well I said my 10 gal cracked so I have no extra tank and I asked them to put my stff in there tanks before and they just looked at me.

Hmm. If you have any water left from tank, put them in a large bucket/clean trashcan with a sponge filter. Thats really all you can do. Or buy water from the lfs system (it won't be perfect but its something) and put them in the bucket/can. Good luck!
And as for the tank for when its fixed, buy RO water and start cycling. There is a lot of products that also contain live bacteria, that will speed up your process as well as live rock.

I have all the water from my 10 gal in my 29 gal plus the little bit of water I mixed up with Sspare salt what would happen if I left them in the tank and filled it bc all my live rock water sand and my old filter is in there will it cycle in like 24 hours?

If the ten gallons of water is already cycled and you are putting it in the 29, its almost like you are doing a 60% water change. If the filter is already seeded and you have those 10 gallons, it shouldn't be that bad. In 24 hours at least some of the nitrifying bacteria will colonize. And use RO to the rest of tank up, at least that way you will not have to worry about the chlorine killing the rest of your bacteria, as well you wont have to worry about phosphates. I think doing that would be better than keeping them in a cold, cramped bucket for 48 hours.
Don't take my word for it though! Lets see what other people say as well.

Ok should I just buy some RO water from petco or what because all I have is tap I'm getting an RO system for my bday.

RO water is not that expensive (just a pain in the butt to drag 5 buckets in there). But regular tap water has so much crap in it, I think its worth it. If you use tap water, you would need the tap water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine, and then you would still have the issue of phosphates. I would go out and buy the RO water, where I live, its $1.00 per gallon (NYC) but from what I understand the average is $0.50 per gallon.
Also what saved my butt while my tank was crashing was Nutriwater, its expensive, salinity is a bit high (SG of 1.027), (Pros :pH 8.2, and from my tests 0 nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia,) but it has a lot of live bacteria and it really helped me out at a time of need. I would not suggest buying the remaining 20 gallons in it, but the 4.4 gallon they sell could possibly help with the cycling.
While the fish are in the bucket, make sure you have some sort of air and that the temp does not fall too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom