Protein skimmer for african cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmk6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 120 gallon mbuna tank and a friend of mine suggested that i should get a skimmer to help keep my nitrates under control. What of it? is this a good idea? My understanding is skimmers for salt water only.

Last edited:
Water changes will keep your nitrates under control in a properly stocked tank. I have seen some plans for a freshwater skimmer, but have absolutely no idea if they really work, though I do know they are completely unecessary.

I agree as I battled high nitrAtes at one time. Water changes, water changes and more water changes. Now I'm good! Plus I changed to sand, not sure if that helps but my water has been even better since the change.

Skimmers work in fresh water The first skimmers came from sewerage treatment plants (You dont want to clean the skimmate out of one of those) at least thats were the idea came from foam refraction at sewerage plants But theres no replacement for water changes

Back
Top Bottom