Pwc question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeltank

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey every one i used to think that this may be a dumb question but iv been thinking about it a lot lately and am gonna do a pwc tonight so if you guys could help me out as usual i would be extremely grateful.
so when i do a pwc i have been putting the de-chlorinate in after i refill the tank and enough to do all 35 gallens. so i guess what my question is if i am doing it wright or wrong and how you guys do a pwc.

thanks for your time!

I think it's recomended to treat the new water by itself, but for me this isn't realistic. I have to dump the tap water right into the tank so I treat the entire tank as the lable says. What are you using? I use Seachem Prime.

You may want to treat the tank before adding water-- at least, that is what I do. Add dechlor and quickly add water after it.

No problems.

I fill with the python then treat while the water is being added. No need to pre-treat. You may want to switch to Prime. It is a lot less expensive since Prime is so concentrated. 1 ml treats 10 gal.

The Python is the best piece of equipment ever made for aquaria. Below is a link of the Python. The first 6.

Browse Catalog

You attach the hose to the faucet. Flip the switch on the bottom and turn on the water. It creates a suction and pulls water from the tank. Reverse the switch and it will re-fill. Adjust the temp on the faucet so it will be the correct refill temp.

I always did my vacuum/pwc's once a week. I never treated the water in the tank, just the water that was going into it. The python is good for the people that don't like to vacuum the tank. I would never use it just because I believe that keeping nice clean gravel is way more important than making the job "easier".

I always did my vacuum/pwc's once a week. I never treated the water in the tank, just the water that was going into it. The python is good for the people that don't like to vacuum the tank. I would never use it just because I believe that keeping nice clean gravel is way more important than making the job "easier".
HUH,
Python IS a gravel vac and you vacuum the gravel while you are changing water.
I add conditioner before adding water when working alone. Sometimes my daughter helps and puts the conditioner right into the stream from my Python as it fills the tank.

I also treat the tank and then fill. Just wondering, Prime removes ammonia doesn't it? Does that not mess with the bacteria and whatnot? I use wardly tri-start but just bought a bottle of BioSafe, 5ml for 20 litres $8 for 250ml, Has anyone used that?

Cheers

As I understand it Prime does not remove amonia but rather locks it up in a form that is safer for fish but the bacteria can still feed on, much the same as amo-lock.
Amquel plus, again as I understand, breaks the oxygen bond on the amonia, nitrite and nitrate destroying the molecules. However because of the way it works it will also slightly recuce oxygen levels in the water column.
I use Aqua-Nova most of the time as a strait dechlorinator.

i have the weirdest faucet threads in history... NONE of the python adapters worked not even the ones that you can buy separate... but a nice helpful chap at home depot had the patience to find me on that worked... so if you cant make it work with what python sells home depot has adapters that can work... python is the best invention ever...

As mentioned, the Python IS a gravel vac. It just makes it easier because you don't have to haul buckets or worry about spilling. Instead of the end of the gravel vac hose being put into a bucket it is put in the sink for easy disposal.

Cogburn- Same here. I have a weird thread on my kitchen faucet too. It took a trip to Ace Hardware and Home depot before finding one that worked. It's actually two pieces screwed into each other.

im getting ready to fill my new 180 gallon for the first time this weekend i dont want to even begin to think about how hard my life would be if i didnt have the python... it would take me all day to fill that with buckets

When we bought the 150 I was thankful that we had the python. And when we had it downstairs, I would have sold the tank before moving 15 buckets of water up and down the steps every week. We do 50% weekly.

I always used my Python to vacuum the gravel. Esp when I had an Oscar. He always left the biggest turds and it needed the suction, LOL!

Good point Punky. In my experience the suction is greater with the Python than it was with just using a bucket. It helps greatly with the Africans as they have heavy poo also.

Back
Top Bottom